Options

Sharepoint Foundation 2010

sina2011sina2011 Member Posts: 239 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone

Im trying to install Sharepoint Foundation 2010 I have installed all the requirements for it run in the wizard I get to a part where it says database name?.

I looked on a few websites apparentley the database name is on the Sql Native client But I cant seem to find the wizard for SQL native client application on my server.

Im doing the labs from the Sybex Server 2008 R2 book if anyone is doing it as well.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Sybex book just says "This chapter assumes you have already installed SharePoint Foundation 2010". No instructions for the installation.

That said, there are three ways to install, all require 64bit version of SQL

1) Separate SQL server (SQL 2005 or SQL 200icon_cool.gif

2) Local SQL server install (SQL 2005, SQL 2008, or SQL Express 2008 -- installed on the same server you're installing SharePoint on)

3) Standalone install (installs SQL Express 2008 while installing SharePoint).

I've installed using methods 1 and 3, but not 2. Which method are you using, and where are you getting stuck?

Sean
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    Well to be honest from my 70-643 book from sybex installing windows sharepoint services 3.0 I remembered that I need to install application role and IIS role so I did that for the foundation.
    When I download Sharepoint Foundation 2010 from the microsoft website it comes with all the requirements to install before the installation of foundation 2010 so I installed them.
    didnt think I have to install a seperate Sql server because it came with the package as a kind of bundle kind of thing.
    But ill have a look into the ways you described and see how I go ill let you know how I go.

Thanks again
  • Options
    hey sean

So after a few hours I did the following stuff as well based on the research started all the SQL related Services made an exception through firewall but still no luck this is the details ive put in and the error I get:

Database Server:MSSSQLSERVER
    Database Name:SharePoint_Config

under specify database access account

Username:adatum\adatum
    Password:Windows$

the error I get is:
    Cannot connect to database Master at SQL server at MSSQLSERVER.The database might not exist or the current user does not have permission to connect to it.

I also placed the adatum user account in the sql builtin groups as well in AD but still no difference.

Also by the way Im running SQL Server Express 2005 on the same Sharepoint vm.

Thanks.
  • Options
    PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you 100% sure that user adatum\adatum has access to master database on SQL server? What does privileges that user has on SQL server? (not Windows server). If that user doesn't have sysadmin role on SQL server then he might not have access to any database in SQL server.

Use MS SSMS to check it out.
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • Options
    hey povilas thanks for your reply.

well im not sure what your honestly talking about I have SQL Server 2005 express edition installed and the only configuration tools I have is SQL server Surface Area configuration and SQL Server Configuration Manager.

In SQL Server Configuration Manager I went to SQL Server 2005 then on the right side right clicked on SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) and in the Log on tab I chose the the option "This account" followed by account name ADATUM\Adatum and password and clicked ok.

after that I went to AD users and computers and placed the adatum account in the following SQL Groups:

SQLSERVER2005MSSQLSERVERADHelperUser
    SQLSERVER2005MSSQLUsers
    SQLSERVER2005MSSQLBrowerUser

but still no luck its kind of annoying me now icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    I'm talking about this tool Download details: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express

It's easiest way to determine who has access to particular database. Being able to connect to SQL server is not enough. SQL manages rights on its own and doesn't relay on AD groups much.
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Sina,

Use the odbc tools and see if you can make a connection to the SQL server. I'm not a dba, but in SQL 2008, you have to enable pipes or TCP/IP connections in the SQL configuration console. Is it the same way in SQL 2005? Does SQL 2005 Express even allow database access from external users / devices or is it limited to strictly applications installed on the same server?

I used SQL Server 2008. There was a command I had to run to enable SQL access through the server's local firewall (I'm not near my book right now), then I had to enable access (named pipes / tcpip). In SQL manager, I had to give a couple of rights to the SP_Config account that I'd used (don't recall off the top of my head what they were).

Sean
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    hey povilas and sean thanks for your reply.

I Just downloaded microsoft sql studio management express But I need to go out now but when I come back im going to restart the process and instead use microsoft sql studio management express instead and see how I go with that.

@sean I did my make firewall exceptions and did allow tcp/ip when I did those it said in order to for changes to effect you must restart database engine so I did but not luck.

Thanks guys
  • Options
    hey guys soo I downloaded SQL Server 2005 Management Studio Express as povilas said but now when I open SQL SMSE it askes for Server Name authentication etc for authentication I chose Windows Authentication after I chose Windows authentication it automatically placed in the username in for me in the format of domain name\user account and for the Server name I tried putting VAN-DC and also VAN-DC.adatum.com but it still didnt work this was the error I got:

Cannot connect to VAN-DC.adatum.com
    Additional Information:
    A network Related or instance Specific error occured while establishing a connection to SQL Server. the server was not found or was not accessible verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections(Provider:Named Pipes Provider,Error:40-could not open a connection to SQL Server Microsoft SQL Server,Error:2

im not sure how I can modify the pipline settings in this version of sql is there any websites that gives you a step by step instruction on how to install foundation 2010?

Thanks.
  • Options
    When you installed SQL Server, at one point you had to choose authentication mode (mixed or windows only) and add "sa" account (in mixed mode) or specify which windows account has full control over SQL Server.
    Try using one of these accounts when connecting to SQL instance and if you installed Management Studio in the same computer as SQL Server - use "localhost" as destination server name.

I suspect that you confusing windows account under which SQL Server is running and windows account which has ability to login on to SQL Server.
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • Options
    hey povilas thanks for the reply

Yeah im soo confused im trying to see if I can find a step by step guide in how to do this
  • Options
    hey povilas I found this on the technet site what kind of gets me thinking that where it says Consider the following restrictions of this method of installation:

You cannot install the single server with built-in database version of SharePoint Foundation on a domain controller.

ha? im going to try it now on a member server I skimmed down the documentation and there is a option for standalone I never got the option for installation for standalone when I was installing it on the DC.

ill see how I go and let you know.

Deploy a single server with a built-in database (SharePoint Foundation 2010)

Cheeers.
  • Options
    hey guys

Just an update on my progress I went through the documentation from Microsoft technet and installed it on a member server and it worked im soo happy even though its not a big deal.

thanks for all your help guys appreciate it.