Options

Looking to buy a router

Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Looking to buy a router and thinking about this one clicky. It would be used simply for home purpose - 1 desktop and 1 maybe 2 laptops. Reviews say it is a decent product for the right price. Anyone familiar with a manufacturer or a similar model?

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I haven't used that router before, but since this is an IT forum I recommend getting a cheap router compatible with DD-WRT. DD-WRT is a great aftermarket firmware that is compatible with numerous routers. They have a database where you can check and see if that router is compatible.

With the DD-WRT firmware you can do all sorts of customizations and have full access to lots of things that the router makers lock you down on. My router was only $20, some old trendnet but it has sooo many options I can't even begin to tell you how nice it is.

If all you want to do is plugin, set a password and use...I'm sure the one you linked to will be fine.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    IDK why people stray from the linksys WRT54 types. I've had one for years an no problems whatsoever.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Networking, Wireless Networking, Wireless Routers, Linksys
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    A WRT54G combined with DD-WRT is awesome. I have to admit though that instead of going that way I'm currently using a DIR-655 which I have been very happy with.

EDIT:
    Just scrolled down your link and saw that the Buffalo comes with DD-WRT. I didn't realize it came pre-installed.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    brad- wrote: »
    IDK why people stray from the linksys WRT54 types. I've had one for years an no problems whatsoever.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Networking, Wireless Networking, Wireless Routers, Linksys

Because these are precisely the wireless access points that I replace with either Merakis or Aironets because they fail on a regular basis in businesses and in homes. Don't get me wrong, DLINKS and NETGEARS are no better, I think the WRT54s simply outsold those other ones something like 10 to 1.