Passed CISSP - back in October 2010 - tips inside

flatworldflatworld Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
I keep reading about how people come very close, and needing recommended guidance etc. A lot of the threads here seem to give the same common advice, same books to use etc, and study methodologies.

one common item I see left out, that really helped me was the Aide Memoire(SP?) by Eric Allaire:

Site Internet de - Accueil

http://home.cogeco.ca/~ericallaire/Document/CISSP_aide_memoire_e_%20v52.pdf

I used the Shon Harris AIO, (ISC)^2 official cissp CBK, this forum, a different forum which I won't name, and freepracticetests.org questions(paid account). I chained many quizzes in a row consisting of 20, 30, 40, 50, sometimes 100 questions. Quizzes for 2-3 months straight.

Overtime, everything gel'd together.
I have 7 years of IT Experience, bachelors in Management Information Systems. If you are "aware" of technology, with some decent work experience, and you study hard, the test you will most likely pass.

Also, approach the majority of the questions, with the perspective of "how would a manager solve the problem"? A lot of times people want to select the answer that the "sys admin/technical implementer" would like to chose, but always remember, what is in the best interest of the company, cost effective. Not what the "know it all system administrator" would want... I can't stress that enough, think like a manager, and what would the manager select, and not what the system administrator would chose.

Studied for about 4 months.
The PDF is great to review over the course of your studies. I also read it non stop for the last two days.
Next up: OSCP

Comments

• coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    flatworld wrote: »
    I keep reading about how people come very close, and needing recommended guidance etc. A lot of the threads here seem to give the same common advice, same books to use etc, and study methodologies.

one common item I see left out, that really helped me was the Aide Memoire(SP?) by Eric Allaire:

Site Internet de - Accueil

http://home.cogeco.ca/~ericallaire/Document/CISSP_aide_memoire_e_%20v52.pdf

I used the Shon Harris AIO, (ISC)^2 official cissp CBK, this forum, a different forum which I won't name, and freepracticetests.org questions(paid account). I chained many quizzes in a row consisting of 20, 30, 40, 50, sometimes 100 questions. Quizzes for 2-3 months straight.

Overtime, everything gel'd together.
    I have 7 years of IT Experience, bachelors in Management Information Systems. If you are "aware" of technology, with some decent work experience, and you study hard, the test you will most likely pass.

Also, approach the majority of the questions, with the perspective of "how would a manager solve the problem"? A lot of times people want to select the answer that the "sys admin/technical implementer" would like to chose, but always remember, what is in the best interest of the company, cost effective. Not what the "know it all system administrator" would want... I can't stress that enough, think like a manager, and what would the manager select, and not what the system administrator would chose.

Studied for about 4 months.
    The PDF is great to review over the course of your studies. I also read it non stop for the last two days.

Thank you very much for your feedback! When I get to where I start studying for this exam, I'm sure it will help immensely
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass, and excellent review. Looking forward to seeing your review of ISSEP.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Thanks for the review! I plan on taking the exam in October, so the tips are well appreciated.
  • devilson911devilson911 Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Dear,and liked your review.

my exam will be in September....

just started studying...