Options

Ospf/rip

mikeszmikesz Member Posts: 115
Hi All,
I am running through routing and so far all is good, except of this little problemicon_sad.gif.
When I set both OSPF and RIPv2 I was only able to get the routes updated automatically between 3 routers, if they were connected through serial cable.
Router R0 and R2 cannot see each other as neighbours. Also with RIP, routes would not propagade until I connected R1 and R2 with serial cable.
Is this a normal behaviour or I should be able to obtain routes updates through the rest of the network (between router R0 and R2)?

R0 to R1 and R1 to R2 = OSPF/RIPworking fine
R0 to R2 = cannot see each other as neighbours/RIP did not propagate

I hope my question is clear.

Please see attached screenshoot of Packet Tracer.

Thank you
Long term plan:
2011: CCNA (70%), CCNA: Security, MCITP:Messaging
2012: VCP, CEH, Linux+, start RHCA/E
2013: finish RHCA/E, CCNP

Comments

• Options
    jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
    What protocol do you have running on which router? Also, could you post copies of your running-config files from the three routers?
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your question isn't very clear but, if you have OSPF and RIPv2 implemented and a router receives advertisements VIA both routing protocols, the said router will add the route whose protocol has the lower Administrative Distance. In this case, OSPF with AD=110 is less than RIP with AD=120. Again, I'm not too sure what you're asking.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    I have attached a file with running config of all 3 routers.

Ok, I'll try again with the question.
    When using any of the 3 routing protocols (OSPF, RIP, EIGRP), routes automatically propagate only between router R0 and R1 and R1 and R2. I don't have automatic route updates from R0 on R2? Does this make it clearer?

I'm sure this is something silly I forgot to do.

Thank you for taking time to look into it.
    Long term plan:
  • Options
    Hm, a quick glance shows me that there is no network statement for the 192.168.x.x network on R1

Why do you have these:

network 172.130.0.0 0.0.3.255
    network 172.130.4.0 0.0.1.255
    Not in the diagram

Edit: nevermind, they're for loopbacks.
  • Options
    I figured it out, R0' Fa0/0 was set to diferent network then Fa0/0 of R2. All working now.
    DEBUG IP OSPF PACKET - pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks and sorry if my question was not very clear.

M
    Long term plan:
  • Options
    Heh, you ask for help with a problem related to OSPF and RIP, yet you post configs that only use EIGRP... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Sorry, that is because I was trying to figure out what was going on. I tried with all 3 routing protocols. After all problem, did not relate to the protocols themselves, I made a mistake with IP address of FA0/0 on Router 0.

Cheers
    Long term plan: