Options

Cell phone? carrier?

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
What kind of cell phone do you have? Who's your carrier?

All my life I've had AT&T, or some variation of it, Bellsouth, Cingular, etc...

For over two years I've had the original Blackberry Bold 9000, and I loved it, but it was time to upgrade..

I love a physical keyboard, and I could care less about a touch screen..

but since AT&T laid me off last year, i have no attachments to them, so I decided to switch to Sprint.. I really wanted the Blackberry Torch, but I was going to save $25 a month on Sprint... and the Torch is only on AT&T

The Blackberry Style 9670 was the cheapest Blackberry they had, and it has BlackBerry 6... it's a flip phone, but has a full Qwerty keyboard..

I've had it for less than one day... several pros and some cons...

but with Sprint I guess I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep it..

so, if I don't love this, there is the Curve or the Bold in the BB world.... outside of that, I kind of want to try a Windows phone..

so, enough of my random ramblings... what do you all have? what do you hate or love about it?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I would base your decision on coverage first. Find out who has the best coverage the phone is useless without the coverage.

Regardless of the company your paying for the service you want to make sure your paying for something worth it.

As far as BlackBerries their are a few more coming out in a few months, mainly keyboard touch combos.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sprint right now have the most bang for the buck and I can tell you personally that the coverage in louiville is great (I will actually be in downtown louisville today, close to the yum center).

That said, have you looked at the EVO switch? It's pretty cool and should meet most of your needs.
  • Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    I have the iPhone 3GS with ATT. I dont mind ATT but I cant wait to switch from the iPhone. I have had way too many issues from the manufacturer and its really not all its cracked up to be. It is provided by work so its not so bad :P

Before ATT I had tmobile as my personal phone and got way better coverage than ATT and Verizon (the rest of our work uses Verizon except for our dept).

My wife still has tmobile and just got an Android and I love her phone and she gets way better coverage than me everywhere we go.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Blackberry sucks now. RIM is so far behind the times it's ridiculous. My Bold from Verizon runs OS 6 like garbage. Yet, they promote every single OS as being so awesome and fast. Also, nearly all their phones have been 90% identical to each other. And their apps plain suck. Their latest Playbook tablet is not very impressive. I've had one for work to play with and I just can't figure out how it benefits me to carry it around.

Unfortunately, I am holding onto this one until a new Droid phone with a keyboard comes out. Then I will be off the Blackberry ship after riding it for 6 straight years.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SteveLord ~ I don't see the point in any tablets really...

Bl8ckr0uter ~ I have only made a few phone calls, but they have been crystal clear, it's quite impressive.. most of the reviews I read about the Style also mentioned that... so I don't if Sprint gets all the props, or the actual phone helps out some... but yeah, as far as phone calls go, it's probably the clearest sounding phone I've ever had..

SteveO86 ~ I saw those new blackberries, and they look promising, but so far I don't think they've said when they are coming out or what carrier will be getting them... and based on price and the few phone calls I have had, pretty sure I'm staying with Sprint...

back to Bl8ckr0uter ~ when I originally went to the Sprint store, I played with the Style, the Curve, the HTC Arrive (windows) and the EVO Shift.... form factor wise, Shift and Arrive are pretty much the same... and I thought the Windows OS was pretty cool... the guy next to me at work is a huge proponet of Android, but i dont see what's so amazing about them.... i found the Windows phone interesting and scary... don't really like the idea of learning a whole new OS, and it's still pretty new, maybe they have some kinks to work out yet..

my wifey has the original Droid on Verizon and hates it... she loves getting on the internet and tmz with it, but not so much for texting or talking... she's really leaning towards the white iPhone...

less than 24 hours in, i do really like the Style... but it's going to get lame and annoying when people constantly say, "is that a flip phone?"
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    2x iPhone 4's on AT&T one for personal and one for work. Just got the one for work the other day had a 3GS before that.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have the myTouch 3G slide and I'm with T-Mobile.
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I have a Blackberry Curve 8520, on Cricket network.

Tacticle feedback is a necessity for me, if only because of the typing speed.

Also, bar style phones are more durable than sliders. I would break a slider or anything with extra moving parts in about two weeks.

If I looked at videos or browsed the web on my phone, I would want one with a larger screen, but I really only use it for phone calls and texting.

I have the month-to-month plan through Cricket. It's $65 per month (Unlimited talk/text/data), but I can cancel at any time.

One problem: I did travel to Nebraska one time, and had no voice or text service, but I still had data service, so I could e-mail. (And if you know the common carrier e-mail suffixes, you can e-mail a text recipient, anyway.)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    i have metropcs. ONLY because they use Sprint's network in NYC. I would hear horror stories anywhere else though.

overall im loving it in nyc. 5 lines in the family unlimited everything for about $120
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    what's metropcs?

Sprint is the best deal financially for me, paying $73 a month, whereas it was $108 with AT&T
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Verizon - Droid X. Life is good.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    phantasm wrote: »
    Verizon - Droid X. Life is good.

I switched from a BB 9650 to the Droid X.. it's ok phone, but battery goes way too fast. Plus mine reboots randomly at least once a day..
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    I switched from a BB 9650 to the Droid X.. it's ok phone, but battery goes way too fast. Plus mine reboots randomly at least once a day..

I rooted mine and installed a custom ROM. No reboots and the battery lasts all day.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I have Sprint and a Touch Pro 2. The Sprint coverage is great as long as I stay in a big city, but when I visit my family in the boondocks, I have no signal the majority of the time.

I have only tried three carriers so far. AT&T by far has the most dropped calls, but if you can deal with that they have service everywhere. Verizon on the other hand, sucks in all aspects of the word. Not only does their wireless charges make you feel that a complimentary jar of vaseline should be given, but their enterprise level MPLS service needs a ton of work. Thats another thread though. :)

Just my two cents...
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »
    I rooted mine and installed a custom ROM. No reboots and the battery lasts all day.

Not the first time I've read this about Droid phones. To me, this means it is a flawed product out the door (no surprise, considering they fling out a new one every other month). Having to do this extra work with the hopes of making it as stable as the alternative offerings?

These are phones, not used cars off craigslist......that's my philosophy. I really hope these upcoming products are better off.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I have TMO with an HTC HD2. Can't complain about coverage. I tether my laptop and iPad through it and get around 3Mbps.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have an iphone 4 which is ok but I picked up a htc evo 4g sprint phone at a auction per se where they where selling all the stuff of the guy who lived there since he never paid rent and skipped town. He left all his stuff there and my brother had to clean the apartment out and sell the stuff that could be sold. I bought it for 5 bucks and its like new. I wish that I could use it on att because my work will reimburse for att. Honestly I love the evo 4g way more then my iphone 4 and will be switching to an htc andriod phone next time i get the chance. Right now I am just using the phone more as a small tablet/media player as sprint wont activate it till the kid pays his $430 bill he owes.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    the big red and i have a droid 2

works well i like the keyboard on it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    I'm currently on AT&T. Their coverage in my area (Oklahoma) is great, their customer service is really really bad. I have absolutely nothing good to say about it.

As to phones:
    I carried an Iphone 3gs from release until about 3 months ago when I changed over to a Samsung Focus (WP7). While I liked the iphone, the restrictions on what I could do with it without jailbreaking (no tethering, no setting up of ad-hoc networks, had to be on wi-fi to install certain apps, etc) annoyed the hell out of me.

When the Focus was released, I decided to switch. Yes, it had all the same functionality restrictions, but at least screen was bigger and brighter, I really liked the Metro UI, and Microsoft seemed at least somewhat willing to work with the mod community.

After a month I decided that the lack of custom ringtones (and nothing stock that sounded like an actual phone), the inability to connect to a hotspot that didn't broadcast its SSID (I disable SSID broadcast on my home network), and various other minor inconviences were not offset by the larger screen. I then said to hell with it, sold my focus and dropped down to a basic voice only plan. This isn't a major issue since I have a blackberry from work for those times when I really need inet access.

My wife is on US Cellular using a Samsung Captivate. Now that I have rooted her phone and installed a custom ROM, she absoutely loves it. I am strongly considering just paying my buyout to ATT and making the jump myself.
  • Options
    one week into it and as far as phone calls, texting and general messaging, I love my phone.. internet is kind of lame, but no worse than my previous Bold, and I'm rarely away from a for real computer...

but i love talking on it, and I love texting and the BB world in general
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    I was with Tmobile for about 8 years. Liked the service, not the selection in phones.

Went to ATT for the iPhone. While the phone is nice, its overrated IMO, and ATT blows.

I'm with Sprint now, because they're the most reasonable, and I was intrigued by the Android phones. Verizon was even more expensive for me than ATT, and Sprint was the cheapest. I'm really happy with the EVO.

Working in the wireless industry for a VAR, I see all the latest and greatest, at least everything other than Apple, and here are my .02.

Droid //Evo argument is a joke. They're the same phone, but different manufacturers, and different providers. Some people love Verizon, and I might too if they were cheaper.

Apple, don't get the fascination. The iPhone is nice, but Evo and Droid are as good if not better by a bit.

RIM aka Blackberry, my company hears LOTS of complaints about Blackberry/RIM. They're really behind the curve. Nice folks though. Their new tablet is eh, not enough to make me buy one. I actually like the HTC Flyer more, if I'm buying one that small.

Take my opinion for what its worth, just my two cents.
  • Options
    videguyvideguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been with Sprint for about 11 years now and never had any issues with their service. There customer service used to suck, but has gotten a lot better over the past few years. I almost switched to Verizon a few years back, but could not justify the extra $30-$40 month it would cost for the same service from them.
    At my last job I had a personal Sprint phone and a work Verizon phone. There were areas where I could get Verizon and not Sprint, but there were also areas where I could get Sprint and no Verizon. It seemed to be about equal in rural areas.
    I have an EVO 4G right now and really like it. I have had a Pro Touch 2, Mogul and Treo 650 in the past. I gave up the physical keboard and may switch to one with a physical keyboard next time and upgrade is available.
    Bachelors of Science in Information Technology - Database Administration Concentration
    Summa Cum Laude - April 2011

The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.
  • Options
    videguyvideguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been with Sprint for about 11 years now and never had any issues with their service. There customer service used to suck, but has gotten a lot better over the past few years. I almost switched to Verizon a few years back, but could not justify the extra $30-$40 month it would cost for the same service from them.
    At my last job I had a personal Sprint phone and a work Verizon phone. There were areas where I could get Verizon and not Sprint, but there were also areas where I could get Sprint and no Verizon. It seemed to be about equal in rural areas.
    I have an EVO 4G right now and really like it. I have had a Pro Touch 2, Mogul and Treo 650 in the past. I gave up the physical keboard and may switch to one with a physical keyboard next time and upgrade is available.
    Bachelors of Science in Information Technology - Database Administration Concentration
    Summa Cum Laude - April 2011

The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    AT&T with iPhone 4 currently :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Not the first time I've read this about Droid phones. To me, this means it is a flawed product out the door (no surprise, considering they fling out a new one every other month). Having to do this extra work with the hopes of making it as stable as the alternative offerings?

These are phones, not used cars off craigslist......that's my philosophy. I really hope these upcoming products are better off.

There are really great Android phones out there. Android wouldn't be the #1 mobile OS if that were the case. Keep in mind that many manafacturers make Android phones. The majority of people are satisfied with their phones. Also, the primary reason for rooting and adding a custom rom is to enjoy better features, and not necessarily fix a flaw. There is definitely a thin line between a flaw and a missing feature.

With that being said, I have a LG G2X (Optimus 2X) on T-mobile of course. I'm rooted and running CyanogenMod 7 nightlies. The phone is outright fast, and the dual-core processor can be OC'd. I'm so far impressed with the phone, coming from a HTC Nexus One. I've been with T-mobile since 2007 and they have the best prices and truly unlimited data so can't beat that.
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    I got the Sprint HTC Evo with the 69.99 Unlimited plan.

I like it.
  • Options
    okplaya wrote: »
    There are really great Android phones out there. Android wouldn't be the #1 mobile OS if that were the case. Keep in mind that many manafacturers make Android phones. The majority of people are satisfied with their phones. Also, the primary reason for rooting and adding a custom rom is to enjoy better features, and not necessarily fix a flaw. There is definitely a thin line between a flaw and a missing feature.

#1 because there are more phones. The #1 movie at the box office doesn't say anything about it's quality.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    what's metropcs?

Sprint is the best deal financially for me, paying $73 a month, whereas it was $108 with AT&T

its like cricket. its an unlimited prepaid hybrid sort of company. look it up.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    AT&T and the Moto Atrix. So far I really like the phone. I switched to it form an iPhone 3GS.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sprint for the last 15 or so years (under my family's plan of course :P).

I'm running with the Samsung Galaxy S 4G Epic. Its a great droid phone. Only issue I'm having is I get kind of low service at home but anywhere else I'm golden (ironic I know bowing.gif).