Options

Old HP printers

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Do these things ever die?

Just the other day I was configuring one from 1992 and it was awful to work on. I had to configure it from the printer level. I couldn't even find a DHCP option.

I tried clearing out the IP address but it kept hanging on to the old one where it was previous set up and located. I ended up having to put the address in using the IP range from a device near by.

It had a Bootp option, but when I enabled it wouldn't pull an IP address. I am assuming since a Bootp server wasn't set up.

Anyway I finally added it static and was able to upload the drivers. This was the first time I had to deal with a printer this old. Geeesh.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No they don't die. The ink cartridges just get more expensive..lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »

True and take a long time to order. I think they make them when requested.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717

I respectfully disagree. My HPLJ 8000 is rated for almost 3x the pages per toner, versus the latest P4015 series I bought to replace it. Way back in the day, it wasn't fully realized yet that they could screw the industry on ink, toner and part replacement.

I love the old ink and laserjets as they are legendary workhorses, but being completely Windows 7...I am about to get rid of the last one to maintain maximum compatibility for everything.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    So true. We have 4 old Genicom continuous form line printers and the ribbons are outrageous. Those are early late 80's models IIR.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    brad- wrote: »
    So true. We have 4 old Genicom continuous form line printers and the ribbons are outrageous. Those are early late 80's models IIR.

Ribbons yes. Anyone who still needs dot matrix/ribbon types get especially screwed on having a tech fix them as well...or finding parts. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???