Options

Ping Issue/Foreign network?

sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
Hello all. This morning I started my ICND2 studies with CBT Nuggets.

One of the first tasks to do is to create a simple network topology, which is easy for me to do.

If you will please refer to the attached topology I can better explain the issue I am getting. I have configured the network exactly as shown, and the network is 99% functional.

My problem is when I try to ping the host 192.168.1.50 host off the switch from R3 the Pings never work. The 1.50 host can be pinged sucesfully from R1 and R2 and the switch, but not from R3.

I can ping R3 and anything else from the 1.50 host and it will work, but the 1.50 host cannot receive pings from router 3.

I built this topology originally using my actual hardware which I tore down and built twice with the same issue.

I then built the same topology in Packet Tracer and it worked with no problems. R3 could ping the 1.50 host on my first try.

I am lost at this point. I have been working on this for 3 hours, and I am about at whits end.. lol

Here is a list of some things I did to try and solve the issue:

1. Changed the default gateway back and forth between the R1 and R2's ethernet interfaces.

2. Traceroute - A trace route from R3 stops at R2's 192.168.2.1 s0/0 interface

3. rebuilt the network several times

4. tried a different computer/host

My last guess at this trying to think out of the box is that a Windows 7 machine is configured to not respond to pings from foreign networks. Hince R3 is a foreign network 192.168.2.0 network Vs 192.168.1.0 network. I know setting network devices to not respond to pings is a common thing to do.

I did not post any Show Runs etc, but if anybody needs more info just let me know.

Thanks for any advice, and until then I am going to do some book studying vs labbing! icon_twisted.gificon_study.gif

Thank you
Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security

Comments

• Options
    amb1s1amb1s1 Member Posts: 408
    What routing protocol are you using? Rip, eigrp. Does host 1.50 have a default route? Can we see the sh run, for better understanding.
    David G.
    http://gomezd.com <
    My Tshoot test Blog
    http://twitter.com/ipnet255
  • Options
    jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
    What routes are in your routing table? It seems to me that R3 may not have a route to the 192.168.1.0 network in its routing table.
  • Options
    amb1s1 wrote: »
    What routing protocol are you using? Rip, eigrp. Does host 1.50 have a default route? Can we see the sh run, for better understanding.

I am sorry I failed to mention that yes I do have a RIPV2 route back to 192.168.1.0 network. R3 can ping everything on the 192.168.1.0 network accept the 1.50 host.

I apologize for leaving that crucial info out. Nonetheless, that is what is adding to my confusion.

@AMB - I am trying to get you a SH Run from R3 but this 1700 router is so slow and non compliment it is taking me a bit.. realllly aggravating working with this old hardware I bought off ebay. I thought using real stuff would be better, but so far a real hardware is just throwing me wow off sequence.
  • Options
    amb1s1amb1s1 Member Posts: 408
    I am sorry I failed to mention that yes I do have a RIPV2 route back to 192.168.1.0 network. R3 can ping everything on the 192.168.1.0 network accept the 1.50 host.

I apologize for leaving that crucial info out. Nonetheless, that is what is adding to my confusion.

@AMB - I am trying to get you a SH Run from R3 but this 1700 router is so slow and non compliment it is taking me a bit.. realllly aggravating working with this old hardware I bought off ebay. I thought using real stuff would be better, but so far a real hardware is just throwing me wow off sequence.

what can you ping from 192.168.1.168.
    Is there any configuration on the switch?
    Are these real equipment?
    David G.
    http://gomezd.com <
    My Tshoot test Blog
    http://twitter.com/ipnet255
  • Options
    amb1s1 wrote: »
    what can you ping from 192.168.1.168.
    Is there any configuration on the switch?
    Are these real equipment?

If you mean 192.168.1.1 I can ping everything.

The switch has a configuration and default gateway set

Yes this is real equipment, and I am waisting a wholeee lot of time trying to make this real equipment work. I had the lab set up and running in packet tracer with no problems in like 2 minutes, but for good measure I wanted to get it to work on my real equipment, but I am just waisting a heck of a lot of time.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it's real equipment and you are trying to ping a host, make sure your firewall isn't blocking ICMP.

Edit: Could you post a running config?
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options

I just thought about something. If you can ping everything on the 1.0 subnet with the exception of 1.50, then I would see if there is something wrong with the host. It's obvious that if you can reach the subnet then you have a route to that network.

Edit: Just saw that you could ping from the host.
  • Options
    Yeah but he also said:

My problem is when I try to ping the host 192.168.1.50 host off the switch from R3 the Pings never work. The 1.50 host can be pinged sucesfully from R1 and R2 and the switch, but not from R3.
  • Options
    I guess my " Out of the Box " thinking was correct... I disabled my windows firewall, and it now works.. I can ping 1.50 from R3 across the serial link.

Thanks all for helping me out. I am stilll not sure if I want to continue to use real hardware... over the sim, for it is soo much easier to throw stuff together in a sim environment.. but heckk working on a SIM doesn't $ PAY $

Thanks again all.
  • Options
    I guess my " Out of the Box " thinking was correct... I disabled my windows firewall, and it now works.. I can ping 1.50 from R3 across the serial link.

Thanks all for helping me out. I am stilll not sure if I want to continue to use real hardware... over the sim, for it is soo much easier to throw stuff together in a sim environment.. but heckk working on a SIM doesn't $ PAY $

Thanks again all.

But it's always good to get good hands on experience with real equipment as sometimes certain commands will not work on a sim.
  • Options

Thanks again all.
    ... I told you to do this a few post up. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    ... I told you to do this a few post up. icon_rolleyes.gif

Your the man icon_smurf.gif
  • Options
    But it's always good to get good hands on experience with real equipment as sometimes certain commands will not work on a sim.

Gotcha, I will bounce back and forth. - Thank you
  • Options
    Your the man icon_smurf.gif
    No YOU'RE the man! You probably overlooked my post but still figured it out on your own.
  • Options
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    No YOU'RE the man! You probably overlooked my post but still figured it out on your own.

I was bouncing back and forth between thread and lab, and I disabled the firewall, found that it fixed the issue, came back posted my result. Scrolled up and saw your post.

Seems like everyy time I have some Cisco problem that just about has me in the crazy house it alwayssss turns out to be something that is simple. Which as we all know thats how most problems are in the IT world. Something small can cause tremendous confusion and madness!icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    this windows firewall sometimes get us into thinking us about some cisco router and configuration problem

crap windows
  • Options
    LazydogLazydog Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Get used to it as the same can happen in the real world.
    It is all part of troubleshooting.
    --

Regards
    Robert

Smile....... it increases your face value!