What's in your screen name?

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
I have always been curious to know how folks on here came up with their screen names. I know there was a thread about names, but that was 3 years ago and tons of members have joined since then.

Mine comes from the football team I adore, the Essendon Bombers, one of only two teams to have won 16 premierships in the AFL (Australian Footy League).

Come on, let's hear why you adopted your screen name.
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The Forsaken part is a play on my first name, and something I've been using since my BBS days. The GA part is because I'm located in Georgia.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mine is the name of a very old cartoon character that they used to show early in the 80th.

1253823969.jpg
  • IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One just has to look at my certifications to fiigure out my name.
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Mine is simple enough. It's sort of a homonym for "indie" like indie rock. I love alternative/indie rock, and am a very non-corporate type of dude (when I can help it) icon_cool.gif

It can have different connotations, but my favorite is "eff the RIAA" type bands that publish their own music and release it for free. Example: BIRP! - Indie Playlists, Album Reviews, Music Videos & More

You can usually still support these artists, just not through a fat cat record company.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    IT_FAN wrote: »
    One just has to look at my certifications to fiigure out my name.

What about your avatar?
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Essendon wrote: »
    I have always been curious to know how folks on here came up with their screen names..

great thread, I have always wondered this too..

and about avatars like ehnde said...

my name is Mike, and when I went to college for the first time, way back in the olden days of 1997 there i started in computer science, didn't care for all the programming and bailed..

I switched to Music Business and loved it. Most people in there were musicians, but one other dude, like me, was there to start their own record label. He was a real cool dude, and anytime I ever called him on the phone he would say, "Mike-Mike, what's happenin?" in a very cool tone. I could hang up and call right back and he'd answer it just like that.

And I just thought it was cool, so I have adopted that ever since
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My name makes people think I'm from the middle east or somewhere else outside of the US. Which is why I like it :)

However, if you read it backwards you'll see that it's nothing special.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    "xeno damus" was meant to be Latin for "alien demon". I came up with the screen name when I was 14 and have used it on various things ever since. I'm not sure where I got the info from but I haven't been able to translate "damus" to "demon" since then. One site translated it as "to give" or "giver".

So, I guess I might be the "alien giver" icon_lol.gif

Anyone who speaks Latin feel free to give my your take, lol.

Edit: My avatar is a pic that I actually took. Passed the poor guy on a country road and couldn't help but snap a shot. :)
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I'm too lazy to come with a new screen, this is just one I use across many forums. My avatar is something a friend made me for BlackBerryForums (hence the BB symbol in there) and I just like the silver on black icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    In registering, I thought about using one of my online names (I have 2 or 3 from my MUD/MMO days, WoW character names, etc.)

But I ended up using my real name since IT is my chosen profession. When I get ready to write a book or launch a site, hopefully the posts I've made on this forum can add to my credibility.

Edit - And I thought Top Gun was the coolest movie ever since the first time I saw it...in the late 90's, I was probably 6 or 7
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    great thread, I have always wondered this too..

and about avatars like ehnde said...

my name is Mike, and when I went to college for the first time, way back in the olden days of 1997 there i started in computer science, didn't care for all the programming and bailed..

I switched to Music Business and loved it. Most people in there were musicians, but one other dude, like me, was there to start their own record label. He was a real cool dude, and anytime I ever called him on the phone he would say, "Mike-Mike, what's happenin?" in a very cool tone. I could hang up and call right back and he'd answer it just like that.

And I just thought it was cool, so I have adopted that ever since

I thought it was a reference from The Wire.

Omar Little: Well, you see, Mike-Mike thought he should keep that cocaine he was slingin' and the money he was makin' from slingin' it. I thought otherwise.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    However, if you read it backwards you'll see that it's nothing special.

I had to agree that it looked like a foreign name until you mentioned it, and I must say how you came up with your screenname was frigging awesome!

My screenname originated from my passion for chess. I love to play chess, and I have to say the knights in the game can be tricky. It's a little difficult to predict that the knights will trap you in two moves when you know you are about to make a really good move on your opponent. The worst possible scenario is to have a knight forks your queen and king without being able to capture the knight. That's why I called them hidden knights. The 821 is actually a combination of my two favorite number with 21 being the most preferred and 82 the least preferred.

My avatar is obviously my favorite video game character, Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid. In the game, he's definitely a hidden knight with his stealth camouflage ability (that is only if you unlock it).
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mine is simply Latin for "Truth is Liberty."
  • Cthu1huCthu1hu Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting thread! Mine is from track 2 off the UK Band Cradle of Filth's album - Midian. When that album came out about 10 or 11 years ago I adopted it as my own.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    i think mine is no brainer. i used it since i work for
    network operations center. the ninja part is because i train martial arts (bjj and muay thai) not ninjitsu. i just thought ninja sounds cooler. lol
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    anonymous + mouse = Anonymouse

I don't know why I use it really.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Mine came from IRC.

Anyway, I was off at college, and a friend was trying to get me into IRC chat. (This was in the old-school days, or chatting on monochrome monitors in the campus computer lab.)

At a certain point during login, you're asked to choose a nickname. I didn't know what to pick. The friend saw that I was taking a long time, so she said, "Hey, you need to pick something Today". Of course, I typed in "today" but that was, unfortunately, taken. She said, "Now, now, now" and I tried "Now" but that was also taken. She said "hurry up and put it in now", and I just thought "instant" and there my nickname was born, in the same computer lab where I did my COBOL classes. :D

I went from IRC to mudding, and used that same nickname, whenever possible.

At a certain point, I'd try joining free emails and forums but "instant" would usually be taken, so then I decided to use "instant000" as it would be a more unique form of "instant".

So, there it is, where "instant000" came from.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • nimrod.sixty9nimrod.sixty9 Banned Posts: 125 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Back in the Yahoo chat days... I coulnt think of a dignon name. I looked over on the desk and seen the Greenday Nimrod album. So I started with that. Pretty much anything was taken and I really didnt want 21934872 on the end of it, I finally found a combination of 69 that would work... Stuck ever since because its never taken :)

My avatar is usually the Statue of Liberty holding a pistol because I believe in:
    Those who sacrifice Liberty for Security deserve neither - Benji
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I honestly have no idea what my name is supposed to represent. I don't remember. I've been using it since my first forays into IT certification a decade ago on IT certification sites like the now defunct CertCities and ExamNotes. My name is supposed to be an amalgamation of 2 or 3 words but heck if I can remember what it is.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I thought it was a reference from The Wire.

Omar Little: Well, you see, Mike-Mike thought he should keep that cocaine he was slingin' and the money he was makin' from slingin' it. I thought otherwise.

ha, no, but that's cool too
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    [engage nerddom]
    "Rogue" came from the title of an elite squad of gamers back in the first online game I ever played, Tribes for PC. My play style in video games is always reminiscent of Sam Fisher from the Splinter Cell series. "Shadow" is due to the fact that I relied on the shadows to launch attacks on the enemy. The two refers to the gaming life after team Rogue; I continued the stealthy trend and this method of attack brings valuable meaning to today's gaming world and general life; you are your own worst enemy and your shadow is a reflection of what is, what passed, and what is to come.
    [/disengage nerddom]
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm an ERP (PeopleSoft) administrator. Many IT folks are under the mistaken impression that ERPs are nothing more than an application like Office. However when I saw how in demand admins are for ERPs I decided to stick with it. Especially since I do have a Windows server background.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT = stupid name
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'll jump in on this one.

My screen name comes from the Eric Clapton album of the same name. I used to go by "Reptile", (which is another Eric Clapton album,) in most IRC channels, message boards, and games I took part in, but when I signed up for TechExams.net, that was already being used. It's all for the best, though, most people just thought it was from Mortal Kombat, not the EC album.

As for my avatar, I used to have The Winslow as my primary avatar, then I switched it over to a Mad Men version of myself.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I've been using my screen name for 15 yrs or so in various places and with slight variations and I have no idea why I picked it!
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My irl name is Derek. Like many dudes whose name starts with a "D", somehow we arrive at the nickname of D-Rock. In being a forum whore and playing a lot of online games, I found derivatives of D-Rock were often already taken. This eventually led to using "droq" instead. In time, Droq evolved in into it's semordnilap, Qord.

The Beastmaster thing is purely coincidental, but I have been mentioned in Urban Dictionary.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Mine is used on technical forums and comes from the adminspotting manifesto:
    Choose no life. Choose sysadminning. Choose no career.        *****
    Choose no family. Choose a ******* big computer, choose hard  *   *
    disks the size of washing machines, old cars, CD ROM writers  * A *
    and electrical coffee makers. Choose no sleep, high caffeine  * D *
    and mental insurance. Choose fixed interest car loans. Choose * M *
    a rented shoebox. Choose no friends. Choose black jeans and   * I *
    matching combat boots. Choose a swivel chair for your office  * N *
    in a range of ******* fabrics. Choose NNTP and wondering why  * S *
    the **** you're logged on on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting * P *
    in that chair looking at mind-numbing, spirit-crushing web    * O *
    sites, stuffing ******* junk food into your mouth. Choose     * T *
    rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last on some  * T *
    miserable newsgroup, nothing more than an embarrassment to    * I *
    the selfish, **** up lusers Gates spawned to replace the    * N *
    computer-literate.                                            * G *
    Choose your future.                                           *   *
    Choose sysadmining[1].                                        *****

Having chosen sysadminning at some point, I can relate to the manifesto, but my view of this lifestyle is more positive, something along the lines of "Choose life. Choose sysadnmining. Choose an interesting career, no sleep, and wondering why the hell you're logged on on a Sunday morning".
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What a great thread :)

So here goes for mine.

I was brought up in a Christian family, however I am not religious my self. And while i have a great respect for religions and acknowledge many of my better morals come from it.

But one thing you find repeated often is how religions change how people see things from history.

Lucifer was a prime example of this, before the bible was translated, Lucifer was a Roman pagon god (the bringer of light / the morning star). So the early Christians took the name and used it as there anti christ. For the prime reason of turning people against the pagan religions and to Christianity.

Personally I like the name Lucifer, I like the face that on the face of it it is associated with all negatives, but dig down and like every thing there are the positive and negatives. A word is just a word its how its used that makes it mean some thing.

So for many years on line I had the nick Lucifer. but a few years back during a discussion about the name with a friend, I Was told I was a Devil with a halo. Which kind of fits me quite well (and every one else).
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Mines is my full name......
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****