Question about IPv6

cliffjag1987cliffjag1987 Member Posts: 206
I think there is gonna be a problem when the Ipv6 is going to be released for people who are studying now.
Look if somebody is studying now for Network+ & MCSA 2003 and pay so much for classes and exams and passes them now. Then when Ipv6 released in about a year or 2 then everybody need to do a upgrade again because you will need to have enough knowledge to work with the ipv6. ( Am i right OR wrong )

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think it really matters.

IPv6 will be something done mostly at ISP level and for end users we wont see much of it for a long while to come. I would not expect to see it in a year or two either - maybe 4-5 years out.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    I saw several IPv6 questions on the Network+ beta exam. In addition, the Cisco Press books I've been using for BSCI cover IPv6 theory, integration and configuration. So, my advice would be to start getting familiar with IPv6 before it sneaks up on you.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    porengo wrote:
    I saw several IPv6 questions on the Network+ beta exam. In addition, the Cisco Press books I've been using for BSCI cover IPv6 theory, integration and configuration. So, my advice would be to start getting familiar with IPv6 before it sneaks up on you.

Agreed. While I'm not doing Cisco right now, I've talked to others who are, and they're starting to buzz more and more about Ipv6. Although, I do think it will be 3-5 years before it hits at this level.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    IPv4 is just too entrenched right now. And people keep finding ways to wring just a little more life out of it. I think 4 or 5 years is optimistic. Given the fact that it is possible to tunnel ipv6 through ipv4, or you could just run a dual stack, I'd be willing to bet you'll see 4 and 6 implementations running side by side with newer stuff going on ipv6, and ipv4 being slowly phased out. When that transition starts though, gonna be good to be in networking ;)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    There is no doubt that IPV6 will become more prominent, however the change over is going to take a long time, so dont ditch IPV4 just yet! Its good to know about IPV6 even if its no a requirement for the course you are doing as Im sure it will become a fudimental element of IT.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I think you should definately begin to familiarize yourself with it, but I think it will be AT LEAST 4-5 years before we see anything on this level.