Options

70-640 Exam Format

sherrillsherrill Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
If it doesn't violate the NDA, could someone tell me what format to expect for the 70-640 exam.

I'm not looking for any shortcuts, I've read and done the exercises in the MS Press book, and I'm labbing and taking practice tests. The practice tests are all different in format, which leads to my question.

This is my first cert exam and I'm a bit on the nervous side, as I haven't sat for an exam since I was a college boy (over 20 years).

Thanks to all for any answers.

Comments

• Options
    sina2011sina2011 Member Posts: 239 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey Sherrill

you might want to get a Book that has active directory R2 content on it because microsoft is testing on R2.
  • Options
    sina2011 wrote: »
    hey Sherrill

you might want to get a Book that has active directory R2 content on it because microsoft is testing on R2.

Thanks - I'm aware because of this excellent forum, so I've been able to get R2 content. All of my vm's are R2, did that from the beginning.

Just fyi, the Kaplan SelfTest for the 70-640 has updated for R2, I've had questions on the AD Recycle Bin, authentication mechanism assurance, etc.
  • Options
    yeah Thanks for that I bought the Sybex Windows Server 2008 R2 book that has all 3 exam updates for R2 but im just reading it to update my skill set.

I wish you Luck on the exam.
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    Here is the list of topics for 640 straight from the horses mouth at Microsoft:

TS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring

All the latest R2 topics are integrated in that list.

There is also a comprehensive list of resources for the exam in this sticky thread here at TE:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/42880-70-640-resources.html

Good luck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate your taking time to reply.

Actually, I was wondering if I can expect the exam to be multiple choice, simulations, testlets, etc. I've never taken a Microsoft certification exam so I'm curious.

I understand that they have changed, even recently.
  • Options
    hey sherrill

without breaking any NDA my colleague took the exam about 3 months ago and said that theres drag and drop and multiple choice.
  • Options
    Thanks. My practice tests are set up that way so I was curious. I'd read that the 83-640 were simulations but the VM's kept locking up so they got discontinued. I'd think that a simulation would be an interesting test to take.

Anyway, I'm studying as hard as I can, I believe in knowing the material as best as possible.
  • Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    For practice exams, I always go with the Transcender ones, as there format quite resembles the format you see on the exam.

I'm preparing for this exam myself, and reading the MS press book at the moment. I have to say I find the chapters written by Danielle and Nelson Ruest VERY annoying, and often all over the place, without really explaining anything. I wish Dan Holme could have written all the chapters himself.
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)
  • Options
    Dracula28 wrote: »
    For practice exams, I always go with the Transcender ones, as there format quite resembles the format you see on the exam.

I'm preparing for this exam myself, and reading the MS press book at the moment. I have to say I find the chapters written by Danielle and Nelson Ruest VERY annoying, and often all over the place, without really explaining anything. I wish Dan Holme could have written all the chapters himself.

I'm using the MS book and I agree. Especially towards the end with FS and Certificates.
  • Options
    I'm complementing the MSpress book with CBT nuggets and the sybex study guide for 640, 642 and 643. Plus I also have Mastering Win2K8 R2 by Mark Minasi.

I don't think the Mspress book alone will cut it, for those of us who don't have much experience with AD CS, RMS and FS.
  • Options
    Dracula28 wrote: »
    I'm complementing the MSpress book with CBT nuggets and the sybex study guide for 640, 642 and 643. Plus I also have Mastering Win2K8 R2 by Mark Minasi.

I don't think the Mspress book alone will cut it, for those of us who don't have much experience with AD CS, RMS and FS.

Yes - I got W2k8R2 Unleashed and am relying on TechNet heavily for those.
  • Options
    I'm reading through the DNS portion of the Ms press book again, and fortunately I already know some of the stuff in it, because the Ruest's writing style is REALLY bad, and I don't usually complain about authors.

I just hope they have not co-written any of the other MSpress books.