Options

Enrolled in CCNA -Need basic lab

techpatrick82techpatrick82 Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
So as i look for a job, i figured i would keep busy and keep my education up, i recently enrolled in my local community college CCNA program. it starts in August - in the mean time i would like to get a head start and set myself a little lab.

my question:
1)are the 2501 still valid? i got 1 that was donated to me?
2)i would like 2 routers and a switch!!!
what router and switch you recommend??
3) i have a computer running win 7 that i will use to control them, or should i put windows server on them like server 2008???

MY BUDGET = 200.00-250.00

Comments

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So as i look for a job, i figured i would keep busy and keep my education up, i recently enrolled in my local community college CCNA program. it starts in August - in the mean time i would like to get a head start and set myself a little lab.

my question:
    1)are the 2501 still valid? i got 1 that was donated to me?
    2)i would like 2 routers and a switch!!!
    what router and switch you recommend??
    3) i have a computer running win 7 that i will use to control them, or should i put windows server on them like server 2008???

MY BUDGET = 200.00-250.00

A pair of 1721 routers and a 2950 switch. Should run you around 110-130 bucks. Just make sure the routers have 12.4 on them and come with the power brick. Now with your leftover money i'd buy a second 2950 and some T1 WIC cards for the routers.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    fslima0fslima0 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First of all, congratulations on enrolling in the NetAcad course. My suggestion to you would be to really focus on this first course because it teaches you the basics of networking. Really try to do your best. BTW, you don't need real equipment (although it's a plus), you will have access to them in class, and also there's a program that simulates networking environments provided by cisco (Packet Tracer).
    Current Goals: CCNP and RHCSA
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would hold off on buying anything just yet. You'll get plenty of hands on in class, and with much better equipment than you would be able to buy for yourself.

If you want a head start, buy a good book (Wendell Odom or Todd Lammle), download GNS3 and visit Free CCNA Workbook to learn how to use it.
  • Options
    kurferkurfer Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you buy lab gear, buy gear that will carry over to the CCIE. 2501's lose usage after the CCNA. At least get 2610XMs.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Don't buy anything until you go to class and start learning how to use it. Then you'll have some knowledge when you go buy.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kurfer wrote: »
    If you buy lab gear, buy gear that will carry over to the CCIE.

For someone who hasn't even started the CCNA, the CCIE is way too far down the road to be worrying about now. A lot can change between now and then.