Options

Hire some based on underling knlowdge or systems knolwdge

shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
I've been thinking about this as I have been going on job interviews recently since moving away. I did some interviews for systems I haven't touched yet, but I understood the technology behind them. One of them I was passed over for and the other I will be doing a face to face. I was passed over cause I didn't have specific system knowledge of there VOIP system, but I told them everything they wanted to hear about H323, SIP, RTP, Vlan's trunking, and routing. This is a job that they found me for so I'm wondering for those of us out here who take part in interviewing how would you handle this?
Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Personally I'd be more inclined to hire someone with the a better underlying knowledge rather than just knowing how to operate a particular system. I didn't have much experience on the specific products at the company I'm currently working for, but a solid understanding of the technologies is what got me on board. That and a good sense of logical thinking and troubleshooting.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    another funny part about this was that it was a nortel system and that wasn't the focus of the job, it was to be more a route/switch guy and assisting with that when needed. This is one of the most silly rejection emails, I've ever gotten. I wish I could tell them never to contact me again, but this is one of the ones where its best to just leave it alone.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related