Options

What version is required to practice commands?

lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
I'm new to CCNA and learning through the CBT Nuggets videos.

I would like to practice some of the commands from the video. I'm using a tool called Cisco Packet Tracer and have chosen one of the switches but I find that some of the commands are not available from the videos.

I was advised that the iOS version may be out of date.

Is there any simulation tool out there which has updated commands I can practice on, or is there any way I can update my tool.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lon21 wrote: »
    Is there any simulation tool out there which has updated commands I can practice on, or is there any way I can update my tool.

Unfortunately, Packet Tracer is only available for Cisco Networking Academy students, teachers, and alumni. If you are one of those three, you can log into the CNA site and get the latest version. If you're not, we can't help you pirate it.

That being said, Packet Tracer was designed specifically for the CCNA, so if what you have is a fairly recent version, it should support MOST of the commands that you need to know. One thing you can try is to use a different model of switch as we have found that the different models support a few different commands than the others.

And it's IOS, not iOS. We're not discussing iPods here. :D
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Packet Tracer is only available for Cisco Networking Academy students, teachers, and alumni. If you are one of those three, you can log into the CNA site and get the latest version. If you're not, we can't help you pirate it.

That being said, Packet Tracer was designed specifically for the CCNA, so if what you have is a fairly recent version, it should support MOST of the commands that you need to know. One thing you can try is to use a different model of switch as we have found that the different models support a few different commands than the others.

And it's IOS, not iOS. We're not discussing iPods here. :D

Thanks.

Packet Tracer was given to me by a friends, so I guess it will be of no use to me.

Is there any other applications I could use to get hands on with the IOS?
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks.

Packet Tracer was given to me by a friends, so I guess it will be of no use to me.

Is there any other applications I could use to get hands on with the IOS?

GNS3 in combination with Free CCNA Workbook
  • Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Packet tracer support all commands required in the CCNA. Now, it's probably that the commands you see in the Nuggets are more advanced than required on the CCNA.

I did over 200 labs in it and i had no problems passing the exam.

But as alan mentioned, GNS3 is a good alternative!
  • Options
    Packet tracer support all commands required in the CCNA. Now, it's probably that the commands you see in the Nuggets are more advanced than required on the CCNA.

I did over 200 labs in it and i had no problems passing the exam.

But as alan mentioned, GNS3 is a good alternative!

Did you use Nuggets for your exam prep?
  • Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you use Nuggets for your exam prep?

Not for the CCNA
    I didn't knew CBT at that time but i would say that usually Jeremy is taking you a little further than what you really need, which isn't a bad thing.