Options

MS Visio

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Is it worth it getting the Visio 2010 professional version or the standard version is fine?

I am going to use this for my CCNP studies for designing topology, and build an experience with Visio at the same time.

Thanks
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check the differences

A comparison of Visio Standard and Visio Professional

Most people I know use the Standard version but I wouldn't be say 100% as I never used it myself.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    Check the differences

A comparison of Visio Standard and Visio Professional

Most people I know use the Standard version but I wouldn't be say 100% as I never used it myself.

That link is up to 2007. For 2010 version matrix see: Visio: Edition Comparison - Office.com

And I agree. Standard will be more than enough.
  • Options
    Btw., if you do intend to buy either version you may as well buy yourself a single user technet subscription.. Standard sub costs $199 (which includes Visio Standard) and the Professional sub costs $349 (which includes Visio Professional) .. both are a lot cheaper than Visio itself (especially the Professional version) based on Amazon pricings

Subscriptions Comparison

Edit: tip, google for 25% promo codes too :)
  • Options
    @Gomjaba, if I were to get the technet subs pro, I can download any software except OSes, am I right?
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    That link is up to 2007. For 2010 version matrix see: Visio: Edition Comparison - Office.com

And I agree. Standard will be more than enough.

I concur, Standard should be enough for you designing you network for your studies
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    @Xcluziv,
    I'm kinda leaning towards the technet subscription, but don't know how that works. If I'm guessing it right, I can download any ms software for a year, and that's is much better deal than a $229 visio standard from newegg.

Im looking at the excel product-list of software from technet, and most software I'm gonna need are available under the standard subscription. Does it that if I subscribe with standard subs, I can download all those software?

Can some please confirm this?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    thehourman wrote: »
    @Xcluziv,
    I'm kinda leaning towards the technet subscription, but don't know how that works. If I'm guessing it right, I can download any ms software for a year, and that's is much better deal than a $229 visio standard from newegg.

Im looking at the excel product-list of software from technet, and most software I'm gonna need are available under the standard subscription. Does it that if I subscribe with standard subs, I can download all those software?

Can some please confirm this?

Yes you can... here the complete list of what you can download with the Standard and Professional subscription

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/7/8/C78DB720-88CB-455E-AA0E-A087CB332A23/TechNet_Product_List.xlsx
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    @Gomjaba, if I were to get the technet subs pro, I can download any software except OSes, am I right?
    Actually, technet gives you OS's also. About the only things it doesn't include are various development tools such as Visual Studio
  • Options
    Yes you can... here the complete list of what you can download with the Standard and Professional subscription

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/7/8/C78DB720-88CB-455E-AA0E-A087CB332A23/TechNet_Product_List.xlsx
    That is the list I was looking at.

If I subscribe with a Standard subs, would the software I downloaded would get updates like the retail copy?
    Also, the subscription, are those CD's? I am looking at the one from Amazon Amazon.com: Microsoft Technet Subscription Standard 2010: Software and it is $27 cheaper.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    That is the list I was looking at.

If I subscribe with a Standard subs, would the software I downloaded would get updates like the retail copy?
    Also, the subscription, are those CD's? I am looking at the one from Amazon Amazon.com: Microsoft Technet Subscription Standard 2010: Software and it is $27 cheaper.

Note the 2010 .. I'd be careful as it might mean it is an activated sub which runs out this year ...

The software you download is no different to the one you buy apart from the license key. So you can install Office 2010 - activate it and use it as long as you want .. IF you reinstall Office on different hardware - the activation might fail and you need to ring Microsoft for an installation ID (i.e. you remove it from your PC but you reinstall on laptop) - but that is not a problem ..

Technet simply means you get a single activation / user license but the software is identical to OEM / Retail / MSDN or Volume License ones ..

But like I say - google for voucher codes, I found a 25% voucher on google in two minutes :)
  • Options
    @Gomjaba
    2010 will expire by the end of 2011?
    Would the 2010 still works? That is the only one I could find on Amazon.

I did some googling and found a discount, but it is for professional. I couldn't find for standard version. I don't think I'm gonna need the pro since I'm not a developer.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    @Gomjaba
    2010 will expire by the end of 2011?
    Would the 2010 still works? That is the only one I could find on Amazon.

I did some googling and found a discount, but it is for professional. I couldn't find for standard version. I don't think I'm gonna need the pro since I'm not a developer.

No idea mate .. for under $30 difference I would buy directly from Microsoft .. All I am saying is that it is odd that the sub on amazon states 2010 and we are half way through 2011 ..
  • Options
    The reason why I was looking at the amazon because they may be have a faster s/h.

How long would it take for ms to ship the subscription dvd? Or is there an option to download it?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    The reason why I was looking at the amazon because they may be have a faster s/h.

How long would it take for ms to ship the subscription dvd? Or is there an option to download it?

Have a look at the options again

Buy, Renew or Upgrade Your TechNet Subscription

The cheap subs don't come with media !!!

Once you have signed up and paid you are getting a login for the download area (you'll need a passport account)

2vnhmo6.jpg

In fact, unless stated otherwise, I am sure shops like Amazon will just send you the activation code instead of DVD medias.
  • Options
    So MS will email me the activation code? I thought they will ship it to me.
    About the oassport account, I would assume that is something I can create after I put in my activation code, right?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I purchased a technet sub recently, and I can tell you now that if you're expecting immediate access, you're going to be disappointed. It took me just over a week before I was able to access and download items from the service.

It's not a big deal, but I was somewhat surprised that for an online download service it would take that long to set up. When I called MS to see what the holdup was, they said 1 week was around the normal period to get everything set up and receive the activation / welcome email. There are also numerous threads out there about companies needing access to production software in a hurry and having to wait for it...needless to say, those are not happy threads.

Regardless, just a bit of a heads up. You may have access right away, or it may take up to a week like myself (and many others), so just be aware.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    or ya could be cheap like me and use Kivio

it runs in linux, it does network diagrams nicely and you can convert them to pdf

its part of koffice

edit: link for ubuntu http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/kivio
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    So MS will email me the activation code? I thought they will ship it to me.
    About the oassport account, I would assume that is something I can create after I put in my activation code, right?

Probably not ... EVERYTHING nowadays on microsoft.com requires a login ... But what's the difference ? If you wanna buy it, buy it :)

Seriously, I don't mind helping you out, but if unsure, maybe really read the technet site about subscriptions I keep posting.. everything is on page 1 or 2 :)

TechNet Subscriptions | Getting Started with TechNet Subscriptions

I don't mind re-posting the URLs for you, but it seems silly :)

And I see it is not called Passport anymore but Live ID so if you have MSN then you got one already ....

Edit: here, 28% discount code : TNWIN7L
  • Options

Edit: here, 28% discount code : TNWIN7L

That code is no good. The only discount I found recently was simply a 3 month extension of the professional level sub, no actual reduction in the initial purchase price.

If there is a valid discount out there, I couldn't find it a couple months ago.
  • Options
    I just purchased it and waiting for the ms email.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    I just purchased it and waiting for the ms email.

You won't regret it :)
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    That code is no good. The only discount I found recently was simply a 3 month extension of the professional level sub, no actual reduction in the initial purchase price.

If there is a valid discount out there, I couldn't find it a couple months ago.

Fair enough. I can't test US codes here in the UK, but I did find a few which work in the UK :)
  • Options
    How long doea it take for MS to send the activation email or my invoice?
    I have been waiting for almost an hour now and no sign of their email. Checked the spam folder no technet/ms.

How long did you guys wait for your technet email?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    How long doea it take for MS to send the activation email or my invoice?
    I have been waiting for almost an hour now and no sign of their email. Checked the spam folder no technet/ms.

How long did you guys wait for your technet email?

See my posts above. You could be waiting for a week. You might get lucky, but I wouldn't bet on it.
  • Options
    For a week? Man that's really bad. I'm hoping that I would get that email today. They haven't even sent my invoice.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    For a week? Man that's really bad. I'm hoping that I would get that email today. They haven't even sent my invoice.

You will find two things about dealing with MS, they initialize things electronically but process them like they came by snail (physical paper) mail. Second all access requires a passport account so you might as well set one up while waiting. If you get any Microsoft certs, you will need it, take an online class you will need it, join the partner program through work or on your own, you will need it. My hotmail email is also my passport account but I do not know if they still allow that. Mine has existed since the passport accounts started long ago.

A minor third thing, if they change something Internet Explorer is the first browser to break on their sites, keep a copy of Firefox or Chrome handy. I think that is sad but it is what it is.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    I used to have an Xbox 360 and I have a live account which is gmail. I used that to purchase my Technet sub. Can I use the same account as my passport?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I used to have an Xbox 360 and I have a live account which is gmail. I used that to purchase my Technet sub. Can I use the same account as my passport?

If it works as a live account it will work as a passport.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    Yes, I finally got an email and I quickly registered.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    Quick question, the subscription is good for a year, right?
    And if I renew it, would I get more keys for the same software?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    Quick question, the subscription is good for a year, right?
    And if I renew it, would I get more keys for the same software?

No .. keys remain the same. A renewal simply gives you the right to use the software another year .. Seriously, have you read any of the FAQ / Links posted ?