Options

Wireless signal strength app

aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
Anyone know of a good app that tells me % of signal strength? I'm going to be setting up a new site and want to test signal strength in different rooms/hallways.

Will be setting up a B/G/N network.

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    If you have an android phone there is an app called "wifi analyzer". I think there is a network stumbler app as well. Meraki has a free app for the droid platform as well.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    aordal wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good app that tells me % of signal strength? I'm going to be setting up a new site and want to test signal strength in different rooms/hallways.

Will be setting up a B/G/N network.

Try this on your laptop if possible: Downloads | NetStumbler.com Not sure if you are talking about a phone app or not but if you have a jailbroken iphone then there is an istumbler app for that.
  • Options
    Yeah looking for laptop apps. I can install any OS if need be so OS requirements aren't really a big deal.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    aordal wrote: »
    Yeah looking for laptop apps. I can install any OS if need be so OS requirements aren't really a big deal.

I would check out the netstubler link I sent you then. Works on Windows. It also works with mac with istumbler I believe and there is also kismac for macs as well that will tell you strength and much more.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    InSSIDer is a nice one.
    inSSIDer | MetaGeek

The UI is a little nicer then netstumbler in my opinion
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    I guess netstumblr isnt compatible with win7. I'll try inssider and hopefully that works so I dont have to build an XP box(or maybe its so good its worth it) we'll see.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    There is a software similar to NetStumbler called VistaStumbler that works on Win7. I cannot remember if I used Vistumbler or VistaStumbler, it's been a while.

Vistumbler.net - Home
    VistaStumbler Download - Softpedia