RDP issue (not allowing two connections at once)

higherhohigherho Posts: 882Registered Members
Hi all,

So recently I came across an issue that our server (2003) is not allowing two RDP sessions at once anymore. On the terminal server everything seems to be correct

the Licensing is set to Remote Desktop and Administrators which allows two connections at once. And the group policy looks good but I'm not sure why its still not working.

Any suggestions?

Comments

  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Posts: 4,212Registered Members
    higherho wrote: »
    Any suggestions?

    Is someone logged in locally?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • higherhohigherho Posts: 882Registered Members
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Is someone logged in locally?

    At the time yes but I was told that we could have 1 console connection and at least two RPD sessions. However, I guess that would suck up a license. Maybe I will try that.
  • instant000instant000 Posts: 1,745Registered Members
    When you check the sessions, how many do you see logged into the server?

    How many console, and how many remote?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • higherhohigherho Posts: 882Registered Members
    instant000 wrote: »
    When you check the sessions, how many do you see logged into the server?

    How many console, and how many remote?

    1 Console, 1 remote. Then I logged off the console and I asked someone else to see if they can log in and they could not icon_sad.gif Do you think something was changed in the registry under terminal server\ licensing core?
  • instant000instant000 Posts: 1,745Registered Members
    That's doubtful.

    Would you have reason to be suspicious of that?

    Any recent maintenance done on the server?

    When was your last backup?

    It is running Windows ... if you cannot verify any changes, you could reboot it and see if that clears it.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • BudzyBudzy Posts: 117Registered Members
    Hi higherho,

    Perhaps have a look at this if you haven't already checked it:

    On the server's desktop:

    under admin tools -> Terminal services configuration
    Under connections, you should see RDP-tcp, open up the properties of this.
    Select the Network adapter tab and make sure the maxium connections option is set to 2.

    As long as the licencing mode is set to remote administaion then this should work unless we're dealing with a greater problem here.

    Edit: Not sure if you need to restart the terminal server service once you do this.
  • higherhohigherho Posts: 882Registered Members
    instant000 wrote: »
    That's doubtful.

    Would you have reason to be suspicious of that?

    Any recent maintenance done on the server?

    When was your last backup?

    It is running Windows ... if you cannot verify any changes, you could reboot it and see if that clears it.

    It was hardened a little bit ago by another individual and before that it did work so I was just nailing down possibilities on what he could have changed (thats why I brought up the registry before).
    Budzy wrote: »
    Hi higherho,

    Perhaps have a look at this if you haven't already checked it:

    On the server's desktop:

    under admin tools -> Terminal services configuration
    Under connections, you should see RDP-tcp, open up the properties of this.
    Select the Network adapter tab and make sure the maxium connections option is set to 2.

    As long as the licencing mode is set to remote administaion then this should work unless we're dealing with a greater problem here.

    Edit: Not sure if you need to restart the terminal server service once you do this.



    Thank you all for the help.
  • EssendonEssendon Posts: 4,545Registered Members
    Were any Windows updates installed recently? These things can break just about anything!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

    Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Posts: 941Registered Members
    higherho wrote: »
    It was hardened a little bit ago by another individual and before that it did work so I was just nailing down possibilities on what he could have changed.
    That brings up a number of questions... Are you really supposed to unharden the server? Can you work with the individual to undo the change?
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

    GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • higherhohigherho Posts: 882Registered Members
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    That brings up a number of questions... Are you really supposed to unharden the server? Can you work with the individual to undo the change?

    Yes this RPD change should not have happened. 2 connections is allowed as long as you limit it to Administrators.
  • higherhohigherho Posts: 882Registered Members
    Budzy wrote: »
    Hi higherho,

    Perhaps have a look at this if you haven't already checked it:

    On the server's desktop:

    under admin tools -> Terminal services configuration
    Under connections, you should see RDP-tcp, open up the properties of this.
    Select the Network adapter tab and make sure the maxium connections option is set to 2.

    As long as the licencing mode is set to remote administaion then this should work unless we're dealing with a greater problem here.

    Edit: Not sure if you need to restart the terminal server service once you do this.

    I did check the network adapter settings and it has a maximum setting of 1. However, directly below that option it says

    "This server is configured in the default Romote Desktop mode for remote administration which allows a maximum of two simultaneou connections"


    I cannot change the max number either its greyed out. I did try creating a new connection and I simply named it test and selected the same settings as the other one but changed it to max 2. When I hit finished I got the following error message;

    "The new connection must have a unique connection type, transport type, or network adapter"

    is this because i alredy have a simliar connection created?
  • MrAgentMrAgent Posts: 1,301Registered Members
    I would definitely go and check your policies again. I had the same issue once. Turned out to be a local policy.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Posts: 4,212Registered Members
    MrAgent wrote: »
    I would definitely go and check your policies again. I had the same issue once. Turned out to be a local policy.


    Run rsop.msc on the computer to get the result of all the policies applied. If you do find that the policy is set somewhere, Rsop will tell you where so that you can go change it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • higherhohigherho Posts: 882Registered Members
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Run rsop.msc on the computer to get the result of all the policies applied. If you do find that the policy is set somewhere, Rsop will tell you where so that you can go change it.

    I did that today and for the time I had to work on that task I did not see anything "Network" or "Remote" related that would limit the number of connections. I will take a deeper look into them again tomorrow.
Sign In or Register to comment.