Should I start lab questions?

lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
I've just started learning CCNA through CBT Nuggets videos which are split into two sections.

I understand these video are for the ICND1 and ICND2 exams but if I learn these videos could I take the one exam for the CCNA instead of two? and would you guys recommend taking the one exam?

I'm also 3/4 of the way through ICND1 video and I have started to learn Cisco ISO commands, should I start to go through the labs from freeccnaworkbooks.com or wait until I start learning ICND2? I dont really want to get ahead of myself? Are these the closes lab questions to the real exam?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• jtdk985jtdk985 Banned Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lab as you go. dont lab at the end. lab each time you think youve learned a significant amount of commands that you need to remember.
  • lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
    jtdk985 wrote: »
    lab as you go. dont lab at the end. lab each time you think youve learned a significant amount of commands that you need to remember.

Are there any labs for each CBT topic?
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends on your learning style.
    What I did was take notes on each of the videos, then watch the video a second time and attempt to re-create the network layout and config in packet tracer along with Jeremy. (there are some vids I've watched multiple times, frame relay ones mostly)

Or you can pause the vid after a configuration change, get your simulated network up to speed and try to keep pace while taking notes on the theory.

It's never too soon to start practicing.
    Also, you can never have too much subnetting practice either!
    For some people (like me!) you may have a steep learning curve, it's better to be slow and accurate when you start, speed will come with practice, so practice a lot if you want to be more proficient. There are several techniques for learning how to subnet, you can find quite a few on youtube. Look at a few and practice with the questions from
    subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online pick your own "best" method, one that makes the most sense to you and helps you get to the correct answer quickly.
    ccnxjr wrote: »
    It depends on your learning style.
    What I did was take notes on each of the videos, then watch the video a second time and attempt to re-create the network layout and config in packet tracer along with Jeremy. (there are some vids I've watched multiple times, frame relay ones mostly)

Or you can pause the vid after a configuration change, get your simulated network up to speed and try to keep pace while taking notes on the theory.

It's never too soon to start practicing.
    Also, you can never have too much subnetting practice either!
    For some people (like me!) you may have a steep learning curve, it's better to be slow and accurate when you start, speed will come with practice, so practice a lot if you want to be more proficient. There are several techniques for learning how to subnet, you can find quite a few on youtube. Look at a few and practice with the questions from
    subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online pick your own "best" method, one that makes the most sense to you and helps you get to the correct answer quickly.

Thanks,

What software did you use for yours labs?

For the second part do you have to purchase lab equipment?

Thanks
  • tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Usually i recommend doing the 1 exam path only if you
    • Did Cisco academy or
    • Have some job experience or
    • Studied at college or university
    Do the 2 paths if you
    • Self-study
    • Have no experience and no grades
    I don't say it's not possible to pass the 1 exam without solid knowledge but i know someone who failed it after he did the Academy. Passed on his 2nd attempt but i can say the 1 exam path is very challenging and you need to be freakin fast.

And at the end, both paths are the same price :)
    Usually i recommend doing the 1 exam path only if you
    • Did Cisco academy or
    • Have some job experience or
    • Studied at college or university
    Do the 2 paths if you
    • Self-study
    • Have no experience and no grades
    I don't say it's not possible to pass the 1 exam without solid knowledge but i know someone who failed it after he did the Academy. Passed on his 2nd attempt but i can say the 1 exam path is very challenging and you need to be freakin fast.

And at the end, both paths are the same price :)

I did a Network Computing Degree at University, but most of the course was programming and we only had one module in Networks over 3 years.

Does ICND1 + ICND2 have same number of questions as taking the one exam?

Thanks
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lon21 wrote: »
    Thanks,

What software did you use for yours labs?

For the second part do you have to purchase lab equipment?

Thanks

I've used Packet Tracer, however I found this, which is free
    NetSimK.com - CCNA Network Simulator
    I'm not too familiar with it, the interface is a little different as well as a lot of the options, but you should at least be able to practice commands.

You will be better off with the lab equipment.
    Take a few minutes to review the labs sticky
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/823-techlabs-ccna.html

Shop around e-bay, craigs list or small business about taking their old equipment off their hands. You should realistically expect to spend about $300 for 2 switches and 3 routers. Maybe you can find someone that has purchased a more expensive kit and is ready to resell theirs.

I think ideally you want to have 3 routers and 3 switches.
    Maybe with a little patience and some shopping around you can find the required equipment under budget, don't forget the cables!

Like any good consumer/IT you need to understand a little about the product your buying before currency gets involved.
    Ask if there is an IOS loaded, if your physically present have a laptop and usb-to-serial cable handy so you at least do a "show run" .

Read up on what the boot process should look like (i think you get a glimpse in one of the CBT vids) also know how to reset the console/enable password and clear the existing config (as well as VLAN database) .
    These are day 0 exercises (should also be covered in the CBT ICND 1 vids).
  • tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lon21 wrote: »
    Does ICND1 + ICND2 have same number of questions as taking the one exam?

Thanks

No, you have to expect about 50-60 questions on each exams.
    But you have less stuff to assimilate at the same time!