Options

Could somebody suggest something to throttle utorrent traffic at home?

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
Say someone had a brother who was constantly consuming bandwidth using Utorrent at home. How could one throttle this traffic to make the application unusable? Could someone suggest something(free software preferably)?
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Say someone had a brother who was constantly consuming bandwidth using Utorrent at home. How could one throttle this traffic to make the application unusable? Could someone suggest something(free software preferably)?

Open DNS

Use OpenDNS to Protect Your Business Network | PCWorld Business Center

Or you could set parental controls in Windows to limit a number of things.

Set up Parental Controls

I hope this helps
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Call your ISP. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    block his mac address at the router and tell him to .... ummm ... yea
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    If your router has Quality of Services options check them out.

I know I can throttle torrent traffic and traffic to specific computers on mine.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    If your router has Quality of Services options check them out.

I know I can throttle torrent traffic and traffic to specific computers on mine.

And if it doesn't, perhaps one of the third party firmwares (DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato, etc.) that do support QOS will run on your router.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Block the port on the router / firewall ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    I'd prefer not cut him out entirely from the network which I had done. He does need internet access but I'm so tired of the (literally) 24/7 constant bandwidth consumption. I have a DLINK Dir-825 and it does support QoS. I will check that out.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can QoS him on the router based on his IP address, port number (if it's constant), or by NBAR'ing Bittorent traffic. However, if he's cooperative, the easiest way is to tune his BitTorrent client to consume only a certain amount of bandwidth and connections.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    ^ What he said.

uTorrent has options in preferences to limit download and upload speeds. Ask him nicely to cap his rates. If he refuses, bring down the hammer.
  • Options
    I've added a QoS entry for his laptop. I will post back with how this goes in a few days and if the difference is noticeable! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Honestly, if you really cared about maintaining that connection you pay for...you would have him stop immediately by any means necessary. You do know most IPS monitor that and it's only a matter of time before they send you a friendly letter and then suspend your account right? We all know what he and 99% of people are really using uTorrent for. ;)
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    We all know what he and 99% of people are really using uTorrent for. ;)

Maybe he just likes downloading Linux distro .Iso files. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Maybe he just likes downloading Linux distro .Iso files. icon_lol.gif

That's what they all say. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Honestly, if you really cared about maintaining that connection you pay for...you would have him stop immediately by any means necessary. You do know most ISP monitor that and it's only a matter of time before they send you a friendly letter and then suspend your account right? We all know what he and 99% of people are really using uTorrent for. ;)

If you get your account suspended for what's being downloaded, you deserve it for being a moron and not requiring encryption.
  • Options
    While I can't just MAKE him comply, this seems to have been resolved through QoS. I set ALL of his traffic to be of least priority. Just thought that I should mention, I'm not the one paying the bill. My mother is and she isn't even aware that this is going on.
    SteveLord wrote:
    We all know what he and 99% of people are really using uTorrent for. icon_wink.gif

I think 99% is an overstatement. It is a good majority though. What do YOU think he's using it for? Out of a million people do you really think that only 10,000 of them have legitimate legal uses of uTorrent?
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I think it's time your brother met Mr. Baseball Bat. Remember, violence can solve every problem in existence. He will comply after a few gentle taps across the ribs. Problem solved.icon_cheers.gif
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    If you get your account suspended for what's being downloaded, you deserve it for being a moron and not requiring encryption.

What is this encryption you speak of and where can I get it?
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    What is this encryption you speak of and where can I get it?

Utorrent options > Bittorrent > Protocol Encryption

Set it to forced.

If you are downloading things that are questionable I would try using a seedbox or BTGuard - Anonymous BitTorrent Services

Imagine getting a DMCA notice for Glee...how embarassing (not me, my fiance).
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    I think it's time your brother met Mr. Baseball Bat. Remember, violence can solve every problem in existence. He will comply after a few gentle taps across the ribs. Problem solved.icon_cheers.gif

+1 icon_lol.gif

or fake a letter from RIAA, with his IP address, send to your place

riaa_logo2.gif
  • Options
    Someone saying they use uTorrent regularly for legal stuff only is like saying they read Playboy for the articles. ;)
  • Options
    Maybe I do? :D

I should add that the problem seems to cease to exist now.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Controlling quality of service is a huge topic. No easy way to do since Torrent traffic can hide itself in other layers of traffic and varies in it's port use.

Cisco equipment can do it with some learning on your part.

Maybe Untangle might be able to it for free.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Well the only thing my Dlink router can consider with regard to QoS is ports and IP addresses. I chose to set ALL of his traffic coming from ALL ports to least priority.
  • Options
    Do you know what he's downloading? I'd double check on it, because what if your mom get sued, as she's the account holder? Put a stop to it before it get out of hands.
  • Options
    Well can anyone suggest something to simply just block Utorrent traffic?
  • Options
    block all unknown ports....icon_lol.gif not sure if it will work thou, as i'm not familiar with this issue. Throttling his speed may be the best solution bowing.gif
  • Options
    Someone saying they use uTorrent regularly for legal stuff only is like saying they read Playboy for the articles. ;)

I do indeed use bittorrent for legal things on a regular basis. It's a great way of distributing software to a number of sites. Talk to Blizzard about, they use bittorrent for patches.

Yes, there's a very large underground for illegal file shares. Before bittorrent hit it big, it was all done via ftp and http. So don't be hating on the protocol for what people chose to do with it, and don't pigeon hole it. I can do some truly evil stuff with ssh as well
  • Options
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Well can anyone suggest something to simply just block Utorrent traffic?

Depends on how smart the end user is. But generally speaking, bittorrent traffic is somewhat amorphous and can be difficult to identify (not without very expensive network gear anyway). If you can't identify it, you can't block it.

If you really want to pull it down, drop all ports on his IP except 80, 443, 110, 143, and maybe 21.
  • Options
    He doesn't need FTP :D And he only uses web based mail. Hes only getting 80 and 443 Thanks