Options

Failed ICND2

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
Sucks 'cos it was the second fail as well with 692, although I kinda got what I deserved on the first one. I thought I was gonna be a lot closer than that. I forgot to review NAT and ACLs so that showed up as 'naff' in the report.

As usual I froze up during the sims but snapped out of it after wasting an adequate amount of time. What annoyed me was a particular question about an acronym I had never even heard of. I checked my Sybex book afterwards and there was no mention of it.

Anyhoo, after the long walk back to work in the rain, I reckon I'll continue the study while I still have all this routing stuff in my head and resit in a few weeks.

Comments

• Options
    gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_sad.gif youll get it next time. Use packet tracer and do labs and you should be fine. hit the books time to study hard its worth it :)
  • Options
    techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    Keep your head up! You will pass on the next go! icon_thumright.gif
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
  • Options
    Radiant9Radiant9 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just keep pushing.

Take the weekend off, get some perspective and some confidence back, then crack it wide open again next week.

You'll get there.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What resources are you using? If this is your second shot and you are still in the 600s then I think it may be time for new material, or at least a different approach to the material you have.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Odom's book is thorough, even if a little dry.
    NAT and ACLS are a little tricky, if only because the NAT commands have soo many options! and ACLS have soo much flexibility in how they're used!!!!
    So, you can't just stare at them and brute force them into memory, you simply have to buckle down and configure networks. Might get boring , but the point is being able to configure them from memory (well you want to have a basic plan, like ip addressing scheme).

Go over some of the questions in the ICND 2 "Practice" section of the Cisco Learning Network, free to register.
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna/icnd2?tab=practice
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Sucks 'cos it was the second fail as well with 692, although I kinda got what I deserved on the first one. I thought I was gonna be a lot closer than that. I forgot to review NAT and ACLs so that showed up as 'naff' in the report.

As usual I froze up during the sims but snapped out of it after wasting an adequate amount of time. What annoyed me was a particular question about an acronym I had never even heard of. I checked my Sybex book afterwards and there was no mention of it.

Anyhoo, after the long walk back to work in the rain, I reckon I'll continue the study while I still have all this routing stuff in my head and resit in a few weeks.

I had to google "naff". Thanks for teaching me that one.

Just look up whatever acronym that was, and drive on.

As other posters have said, consider getting other materials, and working on those particular items you struggle with.

Make sure to lab the topics.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    raptur2000raptur2000 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What resources are you using? If this is your second shot and you are still in the 600s then I think it may be time for new material, or at least a different approach to the material you have.

I agree. I used a mix of Sybex, CBT Nuggets, Small lab, and a practice tests. Even though it is probably too late to say, but this is the reason I ALWAYS recommend ppl take the CCNA test and skip CCENT. Easier to have 1 test mixed with fairly easy questions and tough questions/sims, than to have 1 super easy test and one brutal test...Plus all the stress you put yourself under by having to test 2x.

Anyway, all the stuff you scored below 60% on, study it until you are a pro at it and can explain it in your sleep. If you scored 80% or higher on a subject you can sort of skip that...hope you pass next time man!
  • Options

You've hit right on it and that's the plan. I think the company has Chris Bryant's material, which I'll hit up for a different angle. I've been relying on Lammle's CCNA book alot but skipping the ICND1 stuff. Will now look to fill in the blanks and cut sick on the labbing.

After foolishly leaving a whole year between ICND 1 and 2, I've obviously forgotten the finer details of the earlier material. This is a good learning experience on how to approach studying in general and it shows not to take it flippantly. Thanks for the comments.
    ccnxjr wrote: »
    Go over some of the questions in the ICND 2 "Practice" section of the Cisco Learning Network, free to register.
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna/icnd2?tab=practice

Cool stuff, thanks for the link.
  • Options
    -DeXteR--DeXteR- Member Posts: 130
    Try Odoom's for a Change . I Had both todd and odoom , But i felt odoom was better so got stuck with it .
    P.s - And Todd's Book size was kinda icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    -DeXteR- wrote: »
    And Todd's Book size was kinda icon_wink.gif

Yeah, kinda cumbersome reading it on the bus. Although preferable over the guy reading the IT Dummies book looking about half the size. Hah, amateur.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Mikedisd2 @ are u located in california?
  • Options
    lanrexng2lanrexng2 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hang in there u can't fail it again congrats in advanced icon_thumright.gif
    M Sc Computer Science == 1% completeA+, Network+, Security+, CCENT == 100% complete
    ICND2, RHCSA, C/C++, Python, x86,
  • Options
    mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    i just sat the icnd2 exam today - ok yes I passed but i would just like to say that this exam is really difficult ( even if you did study books inside out ) I was studying 7 days a week and 6 - 8 months on this stuff over and over and labbing insane amounts with live equipment

This exam really makes you think so hard and I definately had to think my way through what the questions were asking and how to get the desired result. most of which you can never really study for. all you can do is know the theory and know it well and come exam day you can just try and be calm and work out the problem. man when i left that exam room it felt like i went through a washing machine. it zapped every last bit of mental energy out of me

but yeh its a tricky exam thats for sure.

hope you push on and re sit and pass :)

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    nevermind, I was asking you on my cell. I couldn't see your location on my cellphone.