Options

Is my lab too old for the CCNA exam?

lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
Hi,

I got hold of some Cisco equipment today.

I have two switch which are Catalyst 2900 XL and two 2600 routers.

I know these are old devices but I'm worried that some of the commands won't run from CBT videos and some Labs.

Would these ok?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The routers are fine. They won't do SDM, but that's pretty much it. There may be a command here or an option there that the 2600 doesn't do, but nothing that's a show stopper. SDM isn't too heavy on the CCNA blueprint, and you can probably just use the SDM simulator.

The 2900XL switches on the other hand are going to be missing a bit, and a lot of things are going to be different. I've seen people claim to have passed the CCNA using nothing but a couple of 2900XL's (or worse), but I wouldn't want to try it.

I would recommend adding at least one 2950 switch so you can see things in the same way that you'll see them on the exam. Since you're just getting started IIRC, you don't need to rush out and buy one right away, but keep in mind that you're going to reach the limits of those 2900XL's at some point.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    The routers are fine. They won't do SDM, but that's pretty much it. There may be a command here or an option there that the 2600 doesn't do, but nothing that's a show stopper. SDM isn't too heavy on the CCNA blueprint, and you can probably just use the SDM simulator.

The 2900XL switches on the other hand are going to be missing a bit, and a lot of things are going to be different. I've seen people claim to have passed the CCNA using nothing but a couple of 2900XL's (or worse), but I wouldn't want to try it.

I would recommend adding at least one 2950 switch so you can see things in the same way that you'll see them on the exam. Since you're just getting started IIRC, you don't need to rush out and buy one right away, but keep in mind that you're going to reach the limits of those 2900XL's at some point.

Thanks.

Sorry whats IIRC?

Would it be better for me to use Packet Tracer?
  • Options
    lon21 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Sorry whats IIRC?

Would it be better for me to use Packet Tracer?

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.

Packet Tracer is fine, but it still doesn't solve the "I've never touched a router" problem. So I would still use the equipment even if you plan to do most of your studying on Packet Tracer.
  • Options
    I found a Switch WS-C2950-12 which is only a 12 port.

Would this be ok? Or would I need more ports?

Thanks
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    That'll work fine. You won't need a ton of ports for a lab setup.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    xenodamus wrote: »
    That'll work fine. You won't need a ton of ports for a lab setup.

Thanks.
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    The routers are fine, but the switches are not. Not only do 2900xl's not support certain commands, but the way to configure certain things is different. 2950's are relatively inexpensive on ebay nowadays.
  • Options
    I've brought a 12 port switch and going to try and purchase a 24 port one aswell, can't wait. :D

I have found a 1760 router. I was told by the seller that the 1760 supports SDM and all the cmd and features required for the CCNA exam, is this correct?

Currently my two 2600 routers have a WIC T1 and WIC 1B S/T cards which has a cable (DTE & DCE) which emulates a WLAN connection. I've decided that I'm going to keep one of the 2600 routers and replace the other with a 1760. I plan to remove the WIC T1 and WIC 1B S/T card from the one of the router and place it in the 1760.

Would the WIC T1 and WIC 1B S/T card from the 2600 router be fully functional when placed in the 1760 router?

Therefore my lab would be 2X 2950, 1X 2600 and 1X 1760.

Thanks
  • Options
    foxhenryfoxhenry Banned Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hi lon21, just to add on. it's good that you have those devices. actually, i finish ccna. with most of my labs was done using packet tracer only. no budget to buy those devices...hehe..anyway, good luck to your studies.
  • Options
    lon21 wrote: »
    Would the WIC T1 and WIC 1B S/T card from the 2600 router be fully functional when placed in the 1760 router?

Table 5 will show you everything that is compatible with the 1760.

Cisco 1760 Modular Access Router [Cisco 1700 Series Modular Access Routers] - Cisco Systems

Edit: and I don't think the ISDN module(s) are going to be of any use unless you buy an ISDN simulator for them to go through. And you could buy a lot of more useful things with the $150 that will set you back.