Options

Do you think you'd get contacted?

EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
Do you think you'd get contacted if you applied for a position and on the application you put down a minimum salary requirement that was higher than the company was willing to pay for the position?

Have you stated a minimum salary requirement, received an interview, and been offered significantly less?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I stated a minimum salary requirement for the role I currently have, did get an interview and was offered a few k's less than what I asked for. I negotiated with HR and we arrived at a figure somewhere in the middle. I accepted the role.

Did you get an interview with that Fortune 500 company you applied at? Any chance this is in relation to that application?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    lunchbox67lunchbox67 Member Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That is the situation I am in right now.

My requested salary was about 35% higher the max in their posted range.
    I just got back Wednesday the face to face interview, they flew me down for a couple days.

I got the offer today. It's about 15% less than what I wanted. But with the year end bonus it will only be about 5% less. Plus they have very good benefits and a great 401k matching.

So it can happen
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    I stated a minimum salary requirement for the role I currently have, did get an interview and was offered a few k's less than what I asked for. I negotiated with HR and we arrived at a figure somewhere in the middle. I accepted the role.

Did you get an interview with that Fortune 500 company you applied at? Any chance this is in relation to that application?

Yup, a 2nd phone interview was mentioned as possible, and then possibly brining me out for a face to face interview after that. I sent a thank you note with a couple of questions that I didn't think of during the interview last night just a few hours after it. I already got a response this morning.

There was a drop down box for minimum salary range on the app. I put a range in based on what my research indicated fit the description of the position. However after having the 1st interview, I don't feel the job fits in the catagory I original placed it in based on the posted description. I think it may be in a catagory that would put it in a significantly lower salary range.

This is the 1st time I didn't know what the salary range was before applying and have had to make guesses at it. If it was a few thousand lower than what I put as my minimum range, I'd be fine with that, because I selected a range that is significantly higher than what I make now. However after the interview, I think it may be $20k-$30k lower than the range I selected, which would put it at or less than what I currently make. There was no indication of what the range is, I'm just going off of what I know a position should pay based on responsibilities, size of company, industry, and how much experience I have.

Maybe I'm just getting way ahead of myself here.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I'd say it depends on the pool of applicants they have, but definitely possible. I've applied for a few jobs where I did exactly what you're describing and still got interviews. Some of those jobs are still in the middle of thier interviewing process so I don't know what kind of offer they'll make.

One particular spot I interviewed for not long ago, I think I was asking for a good $15k above what they were really looking to pay. We talked about it in the interview and they guy basically said it wasn't going to knock me out of the running, but they had to look for the most "bang for their buck". I can understand that. They may find someone with more experience than me for a little less money. Times are hard.

I wouldn't worry about it if you feel your requested range is reasonable, though. You know better than anyone what you're worth.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since it's a large company, you can probably find salary data on Glassdoor.com.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Since it's a large company, you can probably find salary data on Glassdoor.com.

Yeah already did my research there. Couldn't find a match.
  • Options
    Talked to the "Talent Acquisition Consultant" today... the salary range is $15k-$20k lower than what I put. Which is only $3k-$8k higher than what I make now.

I told them I may still be interested if the offer was the top of the range she gave me, AND they let me work from home at least 90% of the time.