Options

Reputation points? How and why?

lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all,

I have been a member of this forum for quite a few years but I just recently discovered that reputation points can be awarded to user posts. I have received a hand-full but I couldn't find any pointers on how I give them to other people or what they are used for.

The FAQ link at the bottom of the Forums page is dead so maybe somebody can give me a short explanation? Thank you!

Kind regards,
Lordy
Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
Goal for 2014: RHCA
Goal for 2015: CCDP

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Notice the "scales" icon just below your certification list, that's where you dole out justice to a post.

If you think a post is good, you go I approve and chuck in a couple of good words for the guy. if you think it's terrible, you go I disapprove and just say WTF was that...

I think if someone with a higher rep showers you some love, you get more points. Say is someone like mikej412/Forsakem_GA or the king himself, Johan, gave you some love you will get more points.

Also I have noticed if someone just says Thanks in the comments field, you just get one solitary point. If you go Great post!! or Top advice, you get the idea, you give more points.

IMO, it's somewhat useful. If a guy with lots of rep gives you some advice, you know the advice is good.

Rep? icon_wink.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    If you think a post is good, you go I approve and chuck in a couple of good words for the guy. if you think it's terrible, you go I disapprove and just say WTF was that...

+1

Like this? I have seen that a few times.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Also I have noticed if someone just says Thanks in the comments field, you just get one solitary point. If you go Great post!! or Top advice, you get the idea, you give more points.

I don't think that is true, that would require someone to go through and decide what is worth what points. It does vary based on repuation. For example, a new poster giving you rep gets you nothing. Somone with lots of rep can give you a nice bump.

But otherwise everything is right. Good way to thank those who go out of there way to help.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    lordy wrote: »
    +1

Like this? I have seen that a few times.

No, for example in your post above, on the left below your list of certifications, is the reputation.gif icon. We'll actually have a better icon for that soon, but that's the one you can use (on someone else's post) to give rep. We added the rep feature early 2009 so it's a little skewed for some who had most posts before that.

The amount of rep you give depends on your own "rep power" which in turn depends on several factors, mainly your post count, registration date, and own reputation.
  • Options
    Ok, now I get it. Thanks a lot!