How long have you been in IT

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I thought I have been in IT for like 5 years, turns out I am finishing my 4th year at the end of this month. I have done quite a bit of contracts. I am just about to finish my 2nd full year off the helpdesk and my 1st full year in "InfoSec". How about you guys?

Comments

• afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    6 months help desk
    14 months Sys Admin
    3 Years Wing Information Assurance (COMPUSEC,EMSEC,COMSE, C&A, Policy development and enforcement)
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I started in 2000, so total time in 11 years and counting.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • buchatechbuchatech Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been in IT for 11 years this year. Started out as a PC tech and worked my way up to system administration and then to IT management.
  • millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    Started my internship in 1998 and have been working ever since. So going on 13 years here.

~6 mos helpdesk, 3 years systems administration, 2 years network administration, 7 years network engineering.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    9 years - spent several in desktop support, taught IT courses for 3 years, then came back to the tech side as a jr. admin a year ago.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Right around 15 years cumulative. There was a 2 and a half year break between my first IT job and the second, when I went back to school, but I'm not counting that time frame in my total years of service.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    5+ years
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    3.5 years professionally, but I have always admired technology and tinkered whenever I could. Unprofessionally I would say going on 12 years.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2 years 1 month desk side support (break fix and software)
    1 year 9 months help desk
    6 months Help desk team lead
    1 year Desktop, Wintel, and Network support
    4 months IT service team lead (current)
  • drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    I've only been in 2 years help desk, 3 months in the noc now...should i start looking for a sys admin job after i graduate or wait till i have a whole year at the noc?
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    3 years and 4 months at this point. Doesn't seem quite that long really.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2006, first job, at an ISP : 3 months
    2006, second job, software installer : few months
    2007, third job, n/w analyst at Mobil : few months
    2008, fourth job, jack of all trades at a hellhole : 8 days
    2008, fifth job, systems engineer at an MSP : to present

So about 4.5 years all up. Learnt the most at my current job.

Advice to everyone on the helpdesk : Get out of there within a year. Learn as much as you can, get a couple certs and look for something worth your while. Accelerate your growth. I know some people who have been answering the phones for several years, the kind of people who have zilch ambitions (in most cases). No offense to anyone on the helpdesk, I did it too, get out of there.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    So during my 5 years at Penn College of Technology I worked in IT while going to school.

2 years of Student Help Desk (mainly helping students with their laptops / desktops. Viruses removal, hardware diagnosis, software installs, etc). Position is actually called Technical Support Analyst.

Network Technician, 8 months - I was part of our colleges Network Engineering team (5 people for a campus of 8,000 + people). I was helping out with all the cable runs, Access layer switches, deployment of Wireless N access points, deployment of VOIP campus wide, and I was part of their major project from going from a Flat switched network to a Layer 3 redundant routed network. I wish I could have gotten a full time job here because everything was Cisco based. The wireless engineer now has his CCNP wireless. I still keep in touch with the team from time to time.

Right after I graduated I got a job as a Systems Engineer. Was their for three months but it did not work out and driving 150 miles a day was not fun.

AFter that 3 months I started working on a temporary contact for 3 weeks helping with cable runs in various places (big schools, hospitals, etc) the position title was called Data Technician. This was a fun time because I got to see a lot of cool places.

After that was over I got a call for a Help Desk Technician / VTC Facilitator position for the governement (Contact with HP). Took that and did a lot of different things from software troubleshooting (office programs, etc), ticketing, I also was their VTC facilitator for non secret and secret networks. That experience was awesome because I never got a chance with video equipment before.

After 5 months of my previous position I got promoted to System Administrator on the same team. Took care of a few servers (typical updating, hardening the servers), networking equipment on both secret and non secret networks, password resets, software installs, and a few other things.

Currently I am a System Administrator for 30 servers, Epo sever, VPN concentrator, SAN, a few switches, etc. I volunteered for this position and I am currently getting trained by the current SA before he goes away for 9 months on army training.

Quite the ride I have to say and I am very excited to learn more. Going through a virtualization process as well. So to sum things up;

2 Years (2007 - 2009) - Technical Support Analyst - First job
    8 months (2009) - Network Technician - Second job
    3 months (2010) - System Engineer - Third job
    3 weeks (2010)-Data Technician - 4th job
    5 months (2010)- Help Desk Analyst / VTC Facilitator 5th job
    7 months (2010 / 2011) and still going - System Administrator (two different contacts) 5th job - different position
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I got my first official IT-related gig in 2004, working as a PC tech. Since then, I worked helpdesk for a hospital, in a datacenter, at an IT outsourcing company, and then did some sysadmin work for a video game company up until October of 2009. These days, I'm a full-time student and I work freelance.

So, it's either 5 years, if you count from PC tech to sysadmin, and about 6 and 1/2 years if you count up to present. (Although, I don't know if I count my current side-gigs of setting up home and small-office gear every few months as "work", in comparison to my past jobs. icon_lol.gif )

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    15 Years.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Geez, seeing others amounts of experience makes me feel like I'm still a noob :)

Just passed 4 years this month.

~ 1 1/2 yrs at JTAC
    ~ 1 3/4 yrs as an RE at Juniper
    ~ 3/4 yr as a courseware dev at Juniper
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Going on 24 years icon_cry.gif

Cut my teeth on Commodore 64's , Vic 20's, Amstrad CPC 6128's, PC XT (hey they had 5 1/4 360k FDD and 20 MbB HDD and mono screen's ...BEASTS )

ah memories. sh1t I feel old now icon_cry.gif
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    First tax paying IT job in 1998, but only been taking it seriously since around 2006. I still tell people 12 years just for appearances.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Close to 4 years professionally. 5 years if I want to count working with my highschools network admin as well as working on the schools page freshman year of highschool. Though out of all of that time I only have less than 2 years of applicable experience as you'll see below.

1 year - elective class freshmen year of highschool to update website/assist network admin

*9 years time skip where I spend my time either being a lazy bum or working crappy jobs*

6 months or less - Random gigs for a company doing IT moves, disconnect/reconnect computers
    3 months - PC tech at a large electronics retail store
    9 months - short desktop support contract
    6 months - deployment of new computer systems and OS, should have been long contract but got laid off
    1 year and 3 months - massive project backing up data from all the HDD's from a bank
    8 months so far- current job at a helpdesk
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome responses guys. It's good to see years of exp behind the avatars and certs.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just about 3 years of professional experience

Still trying to find a "home" at a place for me to grow and have a long term relationship with a company
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think I have more IT experience than the average age of the TE members who respond to the "how old are you" posts icon_lol.gif

And that isn't counting the APL programming I did in College or the stuff I did in my spare time when I was in the Berlin Brigade.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    As far as professional experience goes I have almost one month under my belt as a two month Desktop Technician 1. As for school, I have two years of going taking technical classes. Almost done with my AA. I don't think I would count school as professional experience. I plan to enjoy learning and be in this field for a long time as it keeps on growing :)
  • nimrod.sixty9nimrod.sixty9 Banned Posts: 125 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just crossed 2 1/2 years in Help Desk and still there. Only A+ cert but Ill have that N+ soon. Good thread.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    3 1/2 years now, working as IT Tech.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A little over 3 and a half years for me.

2 years in PC tech.
    1 year and 4 months in analysis.
    5 months in sales.