Options

HELP! I typed 'erase flash' and have Switch prompt..

lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
I've got my hands on a Cisco 2900XL switch and I wanted to delete the config and reset to factory default.

I logged into the switch and I think I types in the cmd 'erase flash' and confirmed all the questions.

I rebooted the switch and all I see is the Switch prompt.

Recovery From Corrupt or Missing Software Image on Cisco Catalyst 2900XL and 3500XL Series Switches - Cisco Systems

I used the above link to try to fix the problem myself but when I press the mode button and release, as it says on the page nothing seems to happen.

Also when I type 'flash_init' I get info displayed but when I type 'load_helper' nothing is displayed and I return to the Switch prompt.

All 24 port lights are on apart from port 1 and the system light is flashing green.

How can I fix my switch? icon_sad.gif

Thank You.

Comments

• Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    Since you deleted the IOS from flash and reloaded. I would restore the IOS from a backup copy. If you didn't make one, download a new copy from the cisco site and follow "(Section B) Copy a new software image from ROM monitor", from the link that you posted. You've learned first hand why most of us when we receive new equipment. The first thing we do is backup the IOS for safe keeping. Makes for good practice tho, something software based solutions can't teach :)
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    I'm going to assume you don't have a Cisco account that allows you to download IOS from Cisco's website. You're pretty much SOL with the switch unless you obtain the IOS somewhere on the internet. If you have a similar model switch you can get a copy of the IOS off of it.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MosGuy wrote: »
    Since you deleted the IOS from flash and reloaded. I would restore the IOS from a backup copy. If you didn't make one, download a new copy from the cisco site and follow "(Section B) Copy a new software image from ROM monitor", from the link that you posted. You've learned first hand why most of us when we receive new equipment. The first thing we do is backup the IOS for safe keeping. Makes for good practice tho, something software based solutions can't teach :)
    If he bought that on (most likely) Ebay, he can't just go and download it from the Cisco website. Well he could... But he doesn't have the right to the IOS.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    It's like the Windows registry. First thing you should do before modifying anything is backing it up and making sure you know how to restore it.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've seen a couple times here recently saying you could no longer download switch IOS images without a (smartnet?) account, but I've just now been able to download c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA14.bin with my 'normal' account I registered long ago.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    yeah while its all free i went and dloaded most of the switch ios incase i ever need them for the future :)

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't you have 2? Copy the IOS from the other.
  • Options
    lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Don't you have 2? Copy the IOS from the other.

The old switch IOS is version 11, also I don't know how to copy the IOS icon_sad.gif

Alan did you receive my pm.

Thanks