Options

not meeting gpa requirement

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Alright so I saw an internship and while discussing the internship with a person at my school's career center, he told me that gpa requirements are for people who don't have job experience.

I have job experience and I have certifications. I'm less than .3 away from a 3.0, which is the requirement. I think it'll be a good internship and I'm going to try to apply. But does anyone think I would have a problem? I know not meeting a requirement would give them a reason for them not to check out my resume.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Alright so I saw an internship and while discussing the internship with a person at my school's career center, he told me that gpa requirements are for people who don't have job experience.

I have job experience and I have certifications. I'm less than .3 away from a 3.0, which is the requirement. I think it'll be a good internship and I'm going to try to apply. But does anyone think I would have a problem? I know not meeting a requirement would give them a reason for them not to check out my resume.

Experience + Certs > GPA in most cases.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□

Experience + Certs > GPA in most cases.

I agree with higherho because real world experience is more valuable. Just depends on the company if they are strict with requirements as some are
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gpa is nothing in front of experience + cert

go ahead
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the input. I didn't want to get my hopes up and all that.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    If you're really worried, since you're in IT, you ought to be able to just break into the database holding your grades and alter them. It seems like it wouldn't be worth the trouble though, given that most rational employers won't really care what grade you got on your final Women's Literature paper as long as you can perform the tasks asked of you.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    nhpr wrote: »
    If you're really worried, since you're in IT, you ought to be able to just break into the database holding your grades and alter them. It seems like it wouldn't be worth the trouble though, given that most rational employers won't really care what grade you got on your final Women's Literature paper as long as you can perform the tasks asked of you.

Haha.. Yeah. Since I work at IT for a major university(and could easily change my own grades) I know the consequences of that. Along with immediate expulsion there are both state and federal laws against it.

But in all seriousness I wouldn't be surprised if you get rejected because of the GPA. It shows that you were unable to or not willing to put a good effort in.

It never hurts to try though!
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    But in all seriousness I wouldn't be surprised if you get rejected because of the GPA. It shows that you were unable to or not willing to put a good effort in.

That is a very inaccurate statement. I consider myself intellectually capable of damn near anything except math. The fact that I suck at math is not proof that I was unable or not willing to put a good effort in.

That said - I agree with your sentiment, that there is a much higher possibility of being passed over because of it.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Graduating with 3.5 cumulative GPA hasn't opened any doors for me, been stuck with Desktop Support gigs since graduating.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    colemic wrote: »
    That is a very inaccurate statement. I consider myself intellectually capable of damn near anything except math. The fact that I suck at math is not proof that I was unable or not willing to put a good effort in.

That said - I agree with your sentiment, that there is a much higher possibility of being passed over because of it.

But just because you're not the best at math doesn't mean your overall GPA is affected that much. If you were a math major and could only get Cs in all your classes even at full effort then you bet you'd get passed up.

If math is only 10% of your degree then you could still pull out a 3.95 if you got Cs in math.

Overall if you're getting really low grades then you're either not putting the effort in or aren't capable of doing the work to the degree required within your major period.

At the university I attend grading is very competitive. My major program mandates class averages have to fall between 2.7-3.1gpa and anything lower than a 3.2 average will get you kicked out of the program. This means most people never finish this degree because they aren't as capable as the others or don't try as hard. Doesn't reality suck?
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Reality sucks for those who don't make their own. :D

If that is the case, then your school has a really stupid grading policy, to curve downwards.

You're saying that is is a school policy that a 3.14 GPA - the equivalent of an 87 average - will get you kicked out of a program? What program is it? I'm (genuinely) interested in seeing that policy. From your location, I assume WSU?
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    _Marauder_Marauder Member Posts: 132 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I play a part in the Hiring Process at my company. Any flare you have on the resume looks good(including GPA), but the experience and certs weigh more heavily from what I have seen.

I would say go for it. What do you have to lose?
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    GPA speaks to your work ethic.

On an internship usually they want someone who is smart and an eager young mind that they can mold (not always the case).

The certs + experience w/low GPA could mean your an old dog not willing to learn new tricks, something they might not want.

Having said all this your GPA isn't too bad so give it a shot. Good Luck!
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA