Options

Good Source for "How do I xyz?"

sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
I know that's a weird title to my thread, but what I'm looking for is a good source, either a website or a book, that provides step by step on how to accomplish certain things.

For example, how do I creat a VLAN? Or how do I implement port security? How do I troubleshoot network related connectivity or speed issues? How do I write Advance level ACLs?

I already have my CCNA and prepping for that only touched on these areas, but didn't cover those areas comprehensively.

I've already pre-ordered the new version of the upcoming Network Warrior book, which I don't know if it gets specific enough to cover these things. I've also looked at one of the the Cisco Command References but that doesn't provide the step by step "how to" I'm looking for.

Comments

• Options
    jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
    What exactly did you use to study for your CCNA? I must ask this because some of those questions are very basic questions for someone with a CCNA.

But I will say, some of the books that I used included Todd Lammle's CCNA Study Guide: Fifth Edition (yes, I know the 7th is out now, lol), and also the Wendell Odom books from Cisco Press.
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    I'm not sure that such a book exists, as far as a step by step "A,B,C" reference. I suppose it's assumed that anyone studying for the CCNA will gain that knowledge through hands on labs and pure repetition. While Network Warrior is a great book I have the first edition and pre-ordered the second. It does a good job at explaining things in the real world. But doesn't really hand hold you through the steps. The closest book IMO is the portable command guide. Tho it doesn't give you "A,B,C". It does somewhat logically walk you through and all the steps are certainly there. If it was me, I would start labbing again and use the portable command guide. To get in depth knowledge, I'd google and look at books dedicated to a specific individual topic.

Just my two cents.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    NewManSoonNewManSoon Banned Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Not sure if its what you're looking for, but one of the resources I used to study for my CCNA was the book Amazon.com: 101 Labs for the Cisco CCNA Exam (9780955781520): Paul W Browning, Farai Tafa, Stuart Juggins: Books It has both lab setup (network diagrams and a scenario to do something) and step-by-step solutions for each. You may not have all the equipment (or the same models) and you might have to scale stuff back, but if you're looking for how to create a VLAN, then look for a VLAN lab, attempt it or read the solution. I worked through most of the book when studying for my CCNA and there were a few things that weren't covered very well in the Lammle book that I would have missed on the certification exam if I had not done them as part of practice labs. It probably won't help you to learn how to troubleshoot network connectivity, but with the lab solutions, it may cover most of your other "how do I do xyz" questions.

Sean
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    NewManSoon wrote: »
    Google.
    Amen

“You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    sleemie wrote: »
    For example, how do I creat a VLAN? Or how do I implement port security? How do I troubleshoot network related connectivity or speed issues? How do I write Advance level ACLs?

I am also wondering what materials you used to prepare for your test. I am 70% through the Odom ICND1 book and except for the ACLs everything else you mention is definitely covered.
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sleemie wrote: »

I feel as though my CCNA just lost significant value icon_cry.gif
    Honestly you can google these things, are you even trying?
    I won't because i have them in PDF version.

how do I creat(e) a VLAN?
    CHAPTER 1: Virtual LANs
    whole chapter
    Configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs and interswitch communications
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VLANs

CCNA ICND2
    Official Exam Certification Guide

Second Edition
    Wendell Odom
    or Chapters 12 & 13, CCNA Portable Command Guide (2nd Edition)

Or how do I implement port security?
    CHAPTER 9: Ethernet Switch Configuration
    Port Security, Pages 253-256
    CCNA ICND1

Second Edition
    Wendell Odom
    or Page 110, CCNA Portable Command Guide (2nd Edition)

How do I troubleshoot network related connectivity or speed issues?
    CHAPTER 10: Ethernet Switch Troubleshooting
    Whole Chapter
    CCNA ICND1

Second Edition
    Wendell Odom

How do I write Advance level ACLs?
    CHAPTER 6: IP Access Control Lists
    Whole chapter or Extended IP Access Control Lists, page 244 (if the rest is too basic for you icon_rolleyes.gif )
    CCNA ICND2

Second Edition
    Wendell Odom
    or Chapter 28, CCNA Portable Command Guide (2nd Edition)

Seriously, what materials did you use to study?
    I cite Odom's books, but I'm sure these things are covered in every CCNA textbook, even the cramming ones.

edit:
    The books will go over theory mixed in with the specific commands and associated options.
    *If* you read Odom's book (not just look at the pictures :P ) he does provide sample configurations, as well as screen captures, with comments.
    It is very important that you understand the comments and options and not blindly apply the configuration from the book, your at risk of embarrassing the other CCNA holders here.
    I would also suggest spending the weekend in to watch the CBT Nuggets ICND 1 & 2 videos (if reading alone proves a challenge!)
    While watching the vids you can practice the configuration using packet tracer (or simulator of your choice).
    If he's going too fast for you, you CAN pause the videos to catch up , or rewind to the point where you got lost.
    You need the practice, and you need to be intelligent about configuring these things in the real world, so reciting configs from any training material will not be enough, thats why those comments are there, to broaden your understanding, and hopefully guide you thinking so you can apply those command lines outside of the predefined scenarios.
    Thats why people supplement these things with labs, to test their understanding.

How ironic that you got certified, but the whole point of the credential was to test the same knowledge that your asking for.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    The CCNA prep materials would provide the step-by-steps you need.

Network Warrior is a different type of book.

Try this book on for size, I like it, and keep it as a reference.

Network Administrators Survival Guide

But, as previous posters said, you might want to go to your CCNA preparation materials, and study those.

EDIT:

And, seriously, just use http://www.cisco.com There are configuration guides all over that site, giving "step-by-step" configuration examples.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ccnxjr wrote: »

Ever had to interview people that have 'MCSE' on their resume? You get used to it. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    ccnxjr wrote: »
    Mishara wrote:
    Ever had to interview people that have 'MCSE' on their resume? You get used to it. icon_smile.gif

The CCNA is designed to cover the specific tasks the original poster is asking about, so it is kind of funny to post tips for help on something you could just look up in your materials. (or, online at www.cisco.com)

A comparable post from an MCSE would be someone posting about not understanding DNS, group policy, SIDs, or how to join a computer to a domain.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)