Options

3 to become MCSE 2000

clarkyclarky Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have my MCSA 2000, just got it last week and I'm stuck with the decission I need to make, do I upgrade to MCSA 2003 or continue with the existing MCSE 2000 track... I have 3 exams to go until I'm MCSE 2000 if I upgrade to MCSA 2003 then its going to take 4 exams to get the MCSE 2003...

The total amount of exams don't bother me, what bothers me is the ageing technology If you were me would you continue on with the MCSE 2000?

Any reply will be much appreciated

Clarky

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    It costs a lot of money to upgrade a large system from W2k to W2k3, and not many outfits, large or small, is just going to jump into a big upgrade project. Windows 2000 is going to be around for a long time yet, so I would say go for the W2k track and then upgrade to the 2003 cert.

Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    I understand where your coming from but what also scares me is how long are the upgrade exams going to be around, from memory to upgrade from NT4 to 2000 was less than 1 year then it stopped (wasn't that a **** fight)... If I dont upgrade, and the upgrade exams stop then I'm stuck with the 2000 MCSA, so to be come the 2003 your current cert is elected but you'll need to do the whole thing over again.

Remember support for 2000 stops this year so seriously start to think about what cert your going to choose. 2000 certs have been around for 5 years now and yeah sure not many people are going to be upgrading to 2003, but there's still a lot of places that still run NT4 - like where I'm working!

If you continue with the 2000 track your actually going to be doing more exams to upgrade to 2003 MCSE than what you would if you upgrade to 2003 MCSA now. Look on the bright side after you upgrade to 2003 MCSA you can have a rest, study something else like "Netware/Linix" then go back to Microsoft and complete the 2003 track, you wouldn't be able to do this if you didn't upgrade to 2003.

As you can see I've thought about it quite alot, I'm just planning for the future... icon_idea.gif
  • Options
    Chew on the humble pie...

This make be fell better - read this.
    http://www.mcpmag.com/news/print.asp?EditorialsID=549
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    If it were me I would finish the 2000 track...then you can take 1 exam and get you mcsa 2003 or take two and get your 2003 mcse. I don't think the upgrade exam is going anywhere...so you will have time.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    Sorry about my typos... Changed my specticals today.

The upgrade exams are always going to be there as long as the 2003 exams are in so really what difference is it really going to make. I'm hot for 2000 at the moment, in groove.

Cheers guys, I just needed to get this clear in my head.