Options

Firefox 4 Memory leak?

Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
hey has anyone else noticed the huuuuge memory leak from using the latest firefox after a while?

after a a few hours its using 1.5 or more gigs of ram. wthicon_rolleyes.gif
2019 Goals
CompTIA Linux+
[ ] Bachelor's Degree

Comments

• Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have not noticed that, However I noticed that it keeps crashing I will monitor memory usage from now.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yup. Mine hit ~850Mb on friday. Now this can happen when I've been working across a lot of WebUIs but in this case there were only 3-4 tabs active. Closing and reopening with the same sessions dropped it to ~350.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't used it yet, and based on the limited feedback I've received I should stay away. Apparently the interface has changed a lot and isn't liked much. This just ends the debate.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I don't mind the interface so much, I kinda like it. But it crashes all the time.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Check your add-ons. There are quite a few add-ons that worked fine with 3 but kill 4 with their memory usage such as McAfee's SiteAdvisor. It's always best to just run Firefox with the bare minimum of extensions and plug-ins that you need but a lot of people just pile on the stuff until it's unstable because they don't know otherwise.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Under what O/S? I did not notice any problems with it when I loaded it on Ubuntu 10.10. It likes to crash randomly on Ubuntu 11.04 though. I always have a lot of browsers open with several tabs each, so its memory usage is always on the high side for me.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A little off-topic but I have found that Firefox 4 tends to freeze up when clearing history (under Windows 7.)
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    No real issues here on my Mac. It just works (har har har).

Actually the only real thing that might be an issue is my Java plugin giving me fits every so often.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Firefox was always memory hungry if you ask me, not just since FF4
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    Firefox was always memory hungry if you ask me, not just since FF4

IE is too. But some of that is just my usage. Having 3-5 windows open with 3-6 tabs each is a lot. Especially if you leave these open over night or two, it can cripple a system.
    QHalo wrote: »
    No real issues here on my Mac. It just works

About the only thing that "just works"... ;)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Firefox 5 seems to be significantly better. Very snappy browser too but most of my add-ons are now disabled due to compatibility check though none of them were anything that you would consider to be essential to daily use.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    No problems here. The FF4 Beta crashed a lot for me but the later RCs and actual release of FF4 has been fine.
  • Options
    Firefox 5 seems to be significantly better. Very snappy browser too but most of my add-ons are now disabled due to compatibility check though none of them were anything that you would consider to be essential to daily use.

Just to update this, I left the browser open for over a day with over a dozen tabs open and it's sitting at around 700 MB of memory usage at this time. Not bad but still pretty funky.
  • Options
    some guysome guy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm just guessing on this, but perhaps memory usage is dependent on how much RAM you have on your system. Mine has been staying around 1/2 GB (~450-500K in Task Manager); I have several tabs open. The number of and what add-ons you have, number of tabs/windows open, etc can all affect memory usage. The hardware acceleration may also affect it, but idk.

I do love Firefox though. The memory usage for me doesn't affect the other applications that I have running. I love the customization, speed, interface, and all that also.
    A+ ~ Feb 2010
    Network+ ~ Jun 2010
    Security+ ~ April 2011

Up next: ???