Options

Can't join to Virtual Domain

Moki99Moki99 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

Please do bear with me, I'm extremely new to IT. I came across this thread http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/63356-best-way-learn-server-technology.html and it inspired me to get some things going at home so I can learn more.

Anyway, here is the situation. I installed and set up Windows Server 2008 using VMware player. The network adapter settings are Bridged and Replicated. I ran windows update and installed many roles/features including DNS. I ran the dcpromo to setup the domain controller and the new domain name. My goal is to connect the 6 PC's I have here at home to this one domain. When I try joining the domain with the PC hosting the virtual, I get the error saying the domain could not be contacted. The DNS Services are running. I can ping both ways but still can't join the domain.

What am I missing? Please let me know if you need anymore information from me. ANY information will be greatly appreciated thank you!

Comments

• Options
    XantchaXantcha Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The first thing would be to check the firewall of the server 2008 system.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Moki99 wrote: »
    Hey,

Please do bear with me, I'm extremely new to IT. I came across this thread http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/63356-best-way-learn-server-technology.html and it inspired me to get some things going at home so I can learn more.

Anyway, here is the situation. I installed and set up Windows Server 2008 using VMware player. The network adapter settings are Bridged and Replicated. I ran windows update and installed many roles/features including DNS. I ran the dcpromo to setup the domain controller and the new domain name. My goal is to connect the 6 PC's I have here at home to this one domain. When I try joining the domain with the PC hosting the virtual, I get the error saying the domain could not be contacted. The DNS Services are running. I can ping both ways but still can't join the domain.

What am I missing? Please let me know if you need anymore information from me. ANY information will be greatly appreciated thank you!

You say you can ping both ways, but can you ping the domain from the clients?

> ping domain.local

DO NOT attempt to ping just the domain name!!! This may be resolved via broadcast using NetBIOS name resolution. When people have this problem is is usually because the clients are not configured to use the server as their DNS server in their TCP/IP configuration.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    While you may have DNS running on your VM, the 6 PCs you have on your network are probably not pointed to that VM for DNS. In fact if they are using DHCP, and you have a consumer grade router (and/or wireless AP), I'm certain they aren't. They're probably using your router for DNS, which is pointing to your ISPs DNS. Nothing on your network currently knows or cares that you have DNS running on the VM.

You need to start by configuring DNS forwarding on your VM to point to your router, or directly to your ISPs DNS for external name resolution. Next you need to tell your 6 PC's that your VM is the primary DNS server. Either by configuring it in DHCP on the router (if it will allow you to), or by disabling DHCP on the router and installing and configuring the DHCP service on your VM.

After all your PCs are pointing to your VM for DNS, you should have no problem joining them to the domain.