Options

Beginner

Sirior83Sirior83 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
What type of security certs would get a self-taught beginner into this style of pentesting? YouTube - ‪Penetration Test Training Example 1‬‏

Comments

• Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    There is no quick path into the security side of things. It usually requires several years of experience in other areas. The only way to even slightly jumpstart that would be to come out of the military with a security clearance and get a job with a DOD contractor.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on your level of knowledge as to what certs to go to. I would start with Security+ and CCNA to get the basics of networking and security down. Not sure how intense they are but GISF and GSEC would/could also be good. Once you have those you could advance to CEH or GPEN. If you already have the basic knowledge but want something to bridge the gap you could look into Herot or Offensive Security training. I haven't seen any jobs with those certs listed but the training is done by some top notch people. You could also just study for one of the higher end certs but with out expierence, school or even pathway certs I don't think you'll be taken seriously in the job market.
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    Also keep in mind that you can't even take the test for many of the in demand certs (CISSP comes to mind) without several years of security experience.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jtoast wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that you can't even take the test for many of the in demand certs (CISSP comes to mind) without several years of security experience.
    You can take the test (CISSP) without the experience but just wont be CERTIFIED without the experience.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.