Any particular version of linux recommended for Linux+ ?

bluemasonbluemason Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
I used to run FreeBSD and am still a huge fan of it - I've got a spare box and am thinking of throwing a linux distro on it... any recommendations?
I am thinking SUSE, Mandrake or Red Hat....

I plan on writing Linux+ in May or June (give myself time to refresh my grey matter).

Tnx!

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would think SuSe would be the best option as I see Novell making a pretty good case for a decent supported distro for the big boys. Plus thier business desktop is cool.

Our resident geek is looking at it reasonably fondly and he is a dedicated Debian user icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • hc2abhc2ab Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I suggest redhat fedora core3.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    I used redhat....remember that this is a vendor neutral / entry level linux test...so if you know the basics you should be good...know your hardware configurations..
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • mswiechmswiech Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hc2ab wrote:
    I suggest redhat fedora core3.

I wouldn't use FC3, if you are going to use FC I would suggest FC2 as it is more stable to work with then FC3, or if your really into it I would use Gentoo or Slackware 10.1.

But any distro should do, just as long as you use the command line for everything, don't get used to using the GUI, stick with the command line.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius (c.551-c.479 BC)