Options

Really Really thinking about WGU for Bachelors in Network Admin

ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
The more I look at WGU vs. EWU at BC. It seems like the EWU at BC program is more towards engineering, which is not what i want to do. I would rather work with networks including switches and routers as well as doing desktop support.

My main question is: Those of you who have graduated from WGU with a bachelors, have you been able to find a job? That is my main concern.

Right now I have a contract position with a current IT company helping them set up a local hospitals IT equipment. I hope to be able to get more contracts with the company after this one ends.

What do you think I should do? Please answer. I am getting close to graduating and I need more opinions. I have looked at WGU and it says you can transfer your current AA, which I will get very soon. I already have my A+. How many more credits would I need to get in order to earn my bachelors??

I am a person who hates the classroom environment unless its for math. I I would rather much prefer to do everything online, as I can go at my own pace.

Comments

• Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    I've been in the program for a few months and it's been a perfect fit for me. I'm getting the certifications I want and a bachelor's degree all without going back to sitting in a classroom several nights a week after working a full time job.

I transferred in an AAS and was pleasantly surprised at how many classes both transfered and qualified for Req. Met.

I can't answer your main question as I've already been employed as an admin for a few years but I can tell you that it will greatly help me when I search for a higher compensated position down the road.

After starting in March I plan on being finished before the end of the year. I've been working at a steady pace knocking out classes but I've definitely not been stressing it too hard and have been able to keep a great balance of work/study/play/socializing while in the BS:SA program.

Likely you won't be required to do anymore composition or math classes either with your transferred credits.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, as someone who is getting rejected for mid-higher level jobs due to lack of both college and certs (but a decade of IT exp) I can say that WGU will kill 2 birds with 1 stone. With the job market the way it is in some areas you need to have the degree, certs and exp to move up. No one on here can say 100% sure what will and won't transfer in. With an Associates I'm sure more will transfer then if you just had 60 credits. The A+ needs to be from the last 5 years. If it isn't then there have been some on here that have been able to take the Net+ CE and renew the A+ into the new A+ CE then transfer it in.
  • Options
    My Uncle just informed me that the degree is for someone who has more experience in IT. Would it be beneficial for me to go for it since I only am in it for a two month contract and try and get another contract in the same company?

Currently my company that I am with encourages education and certs.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Armymanis wrote: »
    My Uncle just informed me that the degree is for someone who has more experience in IT. Would it be beneficial for me to go for it since I only am in it for a two month contract and try and get another contract in the same company?

I just think, if you have time to do it now than you should do it now. Time flies man. You can't predict if your schedule will allow sufficient time to study in the future.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

If they pay for your education than go for the degree.
  • Options
    I found out that Central Washington University now offers full online programs. I am going to apply and do this one.

http://www.cwu.edu/~itam/PDF/BSITAMp...et%2009-12.pdf

Its called Bachelor of Science in Information Technology and Administrative Management.

Fully online and it is from a school that my mom went to down south of Washington State. They are now starting to offer full online bachelors. They used to only offer degree's at their campus. __________________
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I found out that Central Washington University now offers full online programs. I am going to apply and do this one.

http://www.cwu.edu/~itam/PDF/BSITAMp...et%2009-12.pdf

Its called Bachelor of Science in Information Technology and Administrative Management.

Fully online and it is from a school that my mom went to down south of Washington State. They are now starting to offer full online bachelors. They used to only offer degree's at their campus. __________________

Sounds like a good plan!