Options

WGU vs. Certs?

lunchbox67lunchbox67 Member Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a couple Bachelor's degrees already.
Neither are IT related.
I have been in IT since 1998.

Just got my first Cert and plan to collect a few more.

But started to think about WGU also. I could get some Certs and get a IT Bachelor's degree at the same time.

Any opinions? Should I just go for the Certs or does WGU offer something extra that would be worth it?

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that once you add up study materials that you need to do it on your own and the cost of the Cert tests WGU is not all that much more $$$ wise.

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    lunchbox67 wrote: »
    I have a couple Bachelor's degrees already.
    Neither are IT related.
    I have been in IT since 1998.

Just got my first Cert and plan to collect a few more.

But started to think about WGU also. I could get some Certs and get a IT Bachelor's degree at the same time.

Any opinions? Should I just go for the Certs or does WGU offer something extra that would be worth it?

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that once you add up study materials that you need to do it on your own and the cost of the Cert tests WGU is not all that much more $$$ wise.

Unless you are pursuing a Master degree than their is absolutely no reason to go after another degree. I would go after some certifications if it were me.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Unless you are pursuing a Master degree than their is absolutely no reason to go after another Bachelor degree. I would go after some certifications if it were me.

+1

I would have to go with veritas libertas on this one. I would suggest you to go into their Masters program if you are interested in the EC-Council certs.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i guess it depends on what certs you want
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agree - if you have the core knowledge down and are able to pass the EC-Council/Sans certs then the Masters is where you should be. Collecting Bacholers degrees isn't much better then collecting Associates degrees (of which my wife has 2 and with 3 classes will have 2 more...lol). Guess it all depends on how well your IT knowledge is.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    The problem with Bachelors degree is all the General Education units that are necessary for it. If you can do a second (or double) Bachelors without retaking all that GE, it might be worth it. Computer Science/Electrical Engineering (CS/EE) is a very good combo to go for.