Options

IPS recommendations / experiences

docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
I know someone whose best friend's sister's daughter's roommate's next-door neighbor's dog's owner's third cousin works at a company who is thinking about updating their aging / EOLed network IPS solution. I'm not going to name the vendor, and to keep things vague I won't even provide specifics of the environment that they will be placed in. They will probably have one person watching the IPS appliances and logs part-time ... if that.

So anyway, if you can share some generalizations regarding IPS solutions by Check Point, Juniper, Cisco (ASA modules), Sourcefire, TippingPoint, IBM / ISS, Top Layer, McAfee, Palo Alto, Fortinet, etc., and both positives and negatives from your experiences, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TippingPoint gets my vote (if a pure IPS is the goal, for a UTM/Anything identity based try Palo Alto).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Word of warning, Palo Altos are not usually financially feasible. They are great security appliances, but please...
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Funny, we're going through that exact process right now. I don't talk to any third cousins, so I don't think the OP is about me though. :)

Wish I had access to these reports. Apparently the McAfee IPS is really good, but I've never seen a full report. We've demoed the appliance and it seems fine. Not much else to compare it to other than the ASA module. Gonna be looking at a TippingPoint soon.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My understanding is that Sourcefire won out on the last NSS Labs report. However, the devil is in the details. Just because something is top-rated doesn't necessarily mean it's appropriate to a given environment.

Choosing an IPS brand isn't like choosing a firewall as much, given the prices of some of these appliances (especially when you're looking at higher inspected throughputs).
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know there was an issue with at least one round of NSS tests last year where they used an out-of-the-box config for TippingPoint (didn't update the DVs or TOS). Undermines their results a little. And while I understand lab tests have to keep to as close to a universal standard as possible comparing vanilla configs does little to show you what they are capable of (since every IPS installation/tuning is going to be different). Personally I want to see what I can do with it, not what it will do within 5 minutes of plugging it in.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147
    Well i do not have a lot experience with IPS except for Fortigate.
    Fortigate is not that pricey, and you have a firewall that can do a lot of things, and it is really easy to handle.

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Apparently the McAfee IPS is really good, but I've never seen a full report.
    only just jumping in but so far i've been impressed with the mcafee offering.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Doing a WebEx thing with HP right now. TippingPoint looks sexy.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%