it would be nice to have a windows os that can run and install on arm

so i could get a android tab and install windows on it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    it would be nice to have a windows os that can run and install on arm

so i could get a android tab and install windows on it

IMO, if they don't get the Windows OS on a tablet by 2012 they can kiss their home use dominance good by. That would push it back to closer to 2015 and I really see tablets as taking over the consumer laptop/PC market in the next few years. Personally, I would not bother with a laptop for casual use at all if I had a tablet at home.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I dont see tablets ever taking the role of a PC. Unless they become as powerful as a PC, which they are NOT designed to. The ergonomics of holding a tablet for hours (ouch my neck!) or touch typing just wouldnt cut it as a PC replacement. Tablets have always been designed for media consuming (internet surfing, videos, light gaming) IMO.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    I dont see tablets ever taking the role of a PC. Unless they become as powerful as a PC, which they are NOT designed to. The ergonomics of holding a tablet for hours (ouch my neck!) or touch typing just wouldnt cut it as a PC replacement. Tablets have always been designed for media consuming (internet surfing, videos, light gaming) IMO.

A $700 laptop is certainly as powerful as a PC of the same cost from 4 years ago. Once a good "dock" is standardized on there will be no difference in how we use tablets for most users. People who need hardcore video processing (gamers,CAD users, etc) will still use a more traditional PC, but for the average user a tablet and a dock will be all that is needed in probably 5 years. In another decade I could even see the dock becoming completely wireless as they perfect wireless video technology.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Doesn't seem like many of you own a tablet. Anyway, from my tablet experience (Viewsonic G-Tablet, 10") I can totally see them taking over the home use/laptop market.

Since I got my tab, the amount of time I spend on my laptop or desktop pc is next to zero. The only time I actually need to use something with a full keyboard and big screen is when I need to do server work or log into my work PC. And even then, the tablet has a great functioning RDP client.

Also, they make a Bluetooth keyboard for many tablets on the market.

I can see the normal user being able to replace their current computers with a tablet in the coming future...not in five years, more like 1 to 2 years.

I would say most "normal" users need a web browser, e-mail client, some sort of office programs, video playback, and a keyboard. All of which a tablet is more than capable of providing.

Lastly, Windows 7 is already functioning on tablets.
  • Options
    LucasMN wrote: »
    Doesn't seem like many of you own a tablet. Anyway, from my tablet experience (Viewsonic G-Tablet, 10") I can totally see them taking over the home use/laptop market.

Since I got my tab, the amount of time I spend on my laptop or desktop pc is next to zero. The only time I actually need to use something with a full keyboard and big screen is when I need to do server work or log into my work PC. And even then, the tablet has a great functioning RDP client.

Also, they make a Bluetooth keyboard for many tablets on the market.

I can see the normal user being able to replace their current computers with a tablet in the coming future...not in five years, more like 1 to 2 years.

I would say most "normal" users need a web browser, e-mail client, some sort of office programs, video playback, and a keyboard. All of which a tablet is more than capable of providing.

Lastly, Windows 7 is already functioning on tablets.

I was saying 5 just as an estimate as to how long I think it will take for the sales of tablets to exceed sales of laptops. I totally agree that the technology will probably be ready in about 2 years. I just think it will take another few years for consumers to really catch on. But that might be too conservative!!! Having used an iPad pretty frequently I just don't think it's there yet.
  • Options
    I have a tablet and in all honesty i think it was a waste of money, i own the first gen ipad.

Sorry i just cant see companies and business migrate 500 to 1000 pcs to tablets. I still see a huge market for PCs in the business sector, so i dont think the PC will be replaced by tablets.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I have a tablet and in all honesty i think it was a waste of money, i own the first gen ipad.

Sorry i just cant see companies and business migrate 500 to 1000 pcs to tablets. I still see a huge market for PCs in the business sector, so i dont think the PC will be replaced by tablets.

I agree that the business world will probably not go the tablet route to replace desktop systems... in the near future anyway. But think about home users that just need something to check their e-mail and browse the news headlines. I think it sounds pretty attractive for someone who isn't big into technology.

And it was a waste of money, shoulda got an Android and felt what freedom is like! Actually I sold my tablet after 3 months of using it. Sold for an extra laptop and some cash. I've since sold the laptop and am now debating if I want another tablet or not.
  • Options
    Yeah i just keep the ipad for visitors to use and for kids to play games on. I dont use it at all, i feel handicapped when trying to surf the internet.

Anyways regarding my comments for the tablets, the theme here that was mentioned, was that tablets were to replace PCs in general. So thats why i said there is a huge market in the business sector that purchase PCs by the thousands if not millions each week. So i dont see tablets getting rid of PCs. In the home possibly but i still dont see that happening either. I think tablets were designed as companions as media consumers.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I have to agree with chrisone here.

I too had a first gen iPad. The main reason why I got it was to use it as on eReader as I rode the bus to and from work. I was one the bus for about 2 hrs a day and the iPad worked out really well for this.

Then I took my current job which is 100% work-from-home and I stopped using it all together. I didn't find it convenient to use as a laptop/desktop replacement at home. Just was sooo much easier to use a real computer. Sure it was convenient to carry around the house, but my iPhone is much more convenient in that regards.

My iPad literally ended up collecting dust for about 2 or 3 months before I gave it to my mom. Now she uses it everyday and much like I would use a laptop. I guess it's each to their own, but I'll be using a laptop/desktop till the day I die, which hopefully won't be to soon. :)
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    Aldur wrote: »
    I have to agree with chrisone here.

I too had a first gen iPad. The main reason why I got it was to use it as on eReader as I rode the bus to and from work. I was one the bus for about 2 hrs a day and the iPad worked out really well for this.

Then I took my current job which is 100% work-from-home and I stopped using it all together. I didn't find it convenient to use as a laptop/desktop replacement at home. Just was sooo much easier to use a real computer. Sure it was convenient to carry around the house, but my iPhone is much more convenient in that regards.

My iPad literally ended up collecting dust for about 2 or 3 months before I gave it to my mom. Now she uses it everyday and much like I would use a laptop. I guess it's each to their own, but I'll be using a laptop/desktop till the day I die, which hopefully won't be to soon. :)

But now imagine that you set your iPad next to a Bluetooth KVM or pop it into a dock that looks like the bottom half of a laptop. There's no difference except you can also use it as a tablet.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Tablets have always been designed for media consuming (internet surfing, videos, light gaming) IMO.

Which is all the average home user does with their computer.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Armor149 wrote: »

I keep getting the feeling Microsoft is a day late and a dollar short.

Look at the Windows 7 phone.. can they really compete with Android or Apple?

Look at internet explorer 9, this operating system is still behind Chrome and Firefox.

Personally, I’m not ready for another OS I think Windows 7 works just fine. Currently, Microsoft’s best move they made so far is the purchase of Skype.

Will Windows 08 OS be available for Desktop or tower pcs too?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    But now imagine that you set your iPad next to a Bluetooth KVM or pop it into a dock that looks like the bottom half of a laptop. There's no difference except you can also use it as a tablet.

The price vs hardware difference is still going to matter. I can get much more powerful hardware buying a laptop for the same price that I'd spend on an iPad.

If those two become more even I can see myself going for the tablet over the laptop. Bearing that the easy docking/bluetooth KVM capability is there. But even at that point I'd still be leaving it in one place, like I do with my work laptop, so around the house portability really isn't an issue for me.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I have two doctors who are clients who use the ASUS slate tablet running Windows 7. The power and flexibility of a full operating environment in a package barely larger and heavier then the iPad, I imagine if they fix the dismal battery life that will be the future. If we get more of the same with Windows 8 that we got with Windows 7 (stable OS, fast, lighter footprint, good looking, easier for idiots to use...) MS will retain dominance.

I wrote a blog on this topic for my company, I am going to give my real name out here, don't make me regret it:

http://www.istonetree.com/2011/03/01/ipad-2-in-defense-of-the-laptop/
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    I have two doctors who are clients who use the ASUS slate tablet running Windows 7. The power and flexibility of a full operating environment in a package barely larger and heavier then the iPad, I imagine if they fix the dismal battery life that will be the future. If we get more of the same with Windows 8 that we got with Windows 7 (stable OS, fast, lighter footprint, good looking, easier for idiots to use...) MS will retain dominance.

I wrote a blog on this topic for my company, I am going to give my real name out here, don't make me regret it:

If you must know there is a tablet in my household. | Stonetree Network Solutions, Inc.

ive seen those asus tabs but the only downfall is the battery

and the windows 7 over head makes it run slow
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll have to agree that ifWindows 8 runs better on a tablet then it will definitely help MS in the consumer market. Tablets are going to be the future there.
    Personally I still prefer to have a full keyboard and a seperate mouse. When using my notebook at home I always have an externalmouse attached as I hate using the touchpad and keep it disabled when I attach my mouse. I've used tablets but don't really like using them.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    I'll have to agree that ifWindows 8 runs better on a tablet then it will definitely help MS in the consumer market. Tablets are going to be the future there.
    Personally I still prefer to have a full keyboard and a seperate mouse. When using my notebook at home I always have an externalmouse attached as I hate using the touchpad and keep it disabled when I attach my mouse. I've used tablets but don't really like using them.

you should look at the asus transformer ... thats were tabs are going for the more power user/biz applications
  • Options
    Moki99Moki99 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any news on a new Windows Server OS upgraded from 2008?
  • Options
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Armor149 wrote: »
    Hmmm I remember reading a statement from Microsoft that that is not quite accurate. Pretty sad when a company has to correct its own CEO...