Options

GPO were not applied because they were filtered out

Hello all,

So I created a GPO on one of my servers call IE8checks. Now after I finished configuring the policy I went to an OU to test it (Servers). I applied the OU and I made sure that block interence was not checked and I selected the no override option so that over policies will not override the one I created.

After the policy was created I went to a server logged in and did a gpresult. However, I got this information:

Applied group policy objects
Local group policy
Default Domain Policy
ModifiedIEHomepage

The Following GPO's were not applied because they were filtered out
IE8Checks - Filtering: Not applied (Empty)

However, when I do an RSOP it says the policy is applied. The policy I created was originally created on another server which is were this new policy is pointing to so I figured we better not block inheritance before of that).

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is the new GPO for users or for computers? The OU you linked the new GPO to, does it have users or computers? If you create a GPO that applies to users, you must link it to an OU which has user accounts.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    It is saying that it was filtered because it was empty. That's normal. If you put in a bunch of computer configuration settings but no user settings then the policy will show as empty under the user result but applied under the computer result. The opposite is true if it is user settings but no computer settings in the policy. Check your gpresult and see which one is reporting as empty.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Essendon wrote: »
    Is the new GPO for users or for computers? The OU you linked the new GPO to, does it have users or computers? If you create a GPO that applies to users, you must link it to an OU which has user accounts.

Just Computers / Servers. They were applied to thee Server OU and Workstation OU.
    undomiel wrote: »
    It is saying that it was filtered because it was empty. That's normal. If you put in a bunch of computer configuration settings but no user settings then the policy will show as empty under the user result but applied under the computer result. The opposite is true if it is user settings but no computer settings in the policy. Check your gpresult and see which one is reporting as empty.

Interesting. I will re check the gpresult. The GPO is just a bunch (113) computer configuration changes.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Also what do you have under security filtering when you click on the Scope tab of the GPO. It should have a security group that contains the computer accounts you want this GPO to apply to.

One more thing, did you restart the servers you wanted the GPO to apply to? Some computer policies apply only after the machine has been restarted. If this a production network and you cant restart the servers, then in the security filtering tab add the servers you want this apply to and do a gpupdate /force on the relevant servers. I've seen if you apply security filtering to a group (with computers in it), the computers need a restart. Whereas if you add the servers explicitly to security filtering and do a gpupdate /force, the servers pick up the policy instantly.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Well it was the user settings that were getting filtered out because I only did computer settings! The policy did get applied to all the servers and user workstations icon_cheers.gif

Thank you for all your input! I learn more everyday I come on this forum :) Now I have to export this to the other domains though GPMC was not installed on the one server icon_sad.gif I hope its on the server I was working on if not I will install it on my laptop and work from there.