Options

Setting up VM for labs

SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
I'll be taking my Network+ exam shortly, I'm confident I'll breeze through it with all the studying I've done. I want to start pounding away at the MS stuff next but have little experience using Virtual Box, and knowing what exactly I need to set up in order to do labs.

I'm debating between starting with 70-680 and 70-685, but leaning towards 70-685 from what I've read. I have all of the books required for both, so I might dabble in both to see what I feel more comfortable with pursuing first.

So I've installed VirtualBox on both my desktop and my laptop. I've installed the Server 2008 Hyper-V on one VM, although I have a feeling this was rather pointless? I have an itching feeling that I need to install the regular Windows Server 2008 R2 on a VM. I've also read some forum posts here about this, and what I've gathered is that I need to set up an VM server 2008 and a trial version of windows 7 in a VM as well?

I'm a VM virgin so to speak, and I don't really know it's limitations very well. I don't get why I can't run server 2008 in a VM and have my desktop using windows 7 pro, and my laptop running windows 7 home premium as clients.

Is there a link or website that goes over setting up a home lab with VM, or anyone that can shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am not sure about the objectives of the 685 test, but you can set up the VM environment any way you want. There isnt "the correct way" of setting it up. Currently I run Windows Server 2008 R2 in a dual boot with Win 7, no problems at all. Windows 7 for the regular stuff and the Server OS for the VM environment. I installed the Hyper-v role on the server and created several VM's which have different roles (DC/DNS/DHCP/NAP/RMS etc).

You sure can have Windows 7 as the host OS, install a virtualisation program such as VirtualBox or VMware and create your VM's. No problems at all. Server 2008 can be run on a VM, no issues. Just note that the Hyper-v role needs to be installed on physical machine as it's a type-1 hypervisor, meaning it needs a physical machine to run on not a VM.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    Interesting. I debated setting up Windows Server 2008 R2 in a dual boot, but was advised against it by a network admin I know. He didn't specify why, just that it would be better to run it in VM.

I also assumed (falsely it seems) that Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V was a stand alone server OS. I installed it to run in VM and it works fine, in so far as it loads up and I can screw around with the server. It is a server core though and has no GUI.

I'll download the regular Windows Server 2008 R2 and play with putting it in a VM.

Any advice on getting it and my clients (my main desktop and my laptop) set up in it's network (any addons for VirtualBox I may need to get in order for them all to connect via a network?)? Or is it straightforward?

Thanks for the reply!
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    SdotLow wrote: »
    Interesting. I debated setting up Windows Server 2008 R2 in a dual boot, but was advised against it by a network admin I know. He didn't specify why, just that it would be better to run it in VM.

My guess was due to the fact you can easily create snapshots of the OS which makes testing/reverting very easy.