I was curious; group policy objects

higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
Can you take a Group policy from one domain and someone bring it to another without redoing it all over again? To my knowledge I'm pretty sure you cannot but if their is a way I would love to know because I do not want to re create all those policies again for each domain.

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You should be able to, but I'm not aware of a way off the top of my head. Group Policy Objects in there simplest form are text files. Let me try it on my lab tonight and I'll let you know.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I first looked at the thread title, I wondered what you were curious about icon_wink.gif

You sure can copy a GPO from one domain to another provided there is a trust between the two. The settings and the DACL's can be copied over to the destination domain. You must, though, have the right to be able to create GPO's in the destination domain. Using the Migration Table Editor in the GPMC, you can map the UNC paths to migrate the server names and share names from the source domain to the destination domains.

Here's a link that explains the copy operation in great detail, scroll 2/3rd of the way down on the page. Group Policy Planning and Deployment Guide
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Using the GPMC you can export and import group policy objects. Export a GPO to a File
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Essendon wrote: »
    When I first looked at the thread title, I wondered what you were curious about icon_wink.gif

You sure can copy a GPO from one domain to another provided there is a trust between the two. The settings and the DACL's can be copied over to the destination domain. You must, though, have the right to be able to create GPO's in the destination domain. Using the Migration Table Editor in the GPMC, you can map the UNC paths to migrate the server names and share names from the source domain to the destination domains.

Here's a link that explains the copy operation in great detail, scroll 2/3rd of the way down on the page. Group Policy Planning and Deployment Guide

yea sorry about the topic. I meant to type out more!

That is very interesting and I will have to study up on it! Thank you for the information.

undomiel wrote: »
    Using the GPMC you can export and import group policy objects. Export a GPO to a File

Does this work on Server 2003 R2? I guess it does just a tad different way to do it. Before I stopped for the day I tried exporting from to a text file and it just copied the main sections (Computer configuration, User configuration) but that was it.

Thank you for the info!
    Is their a way that I can get theAdmX.exe: ADM File Parser tool download? I been searching so much and so far this is the only way I know that I can export GPO's on Server 2003. Unless I am missing something.

@Essiden

Their is no trust between the two.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    You can, but domain specific information like security settings get messed up unless you use migration tables to update the information.

It's easier with Advanced Group Policy Management, but that is part of the MS Desktop Optimization Pack suite.
    Claymoore wrote: »
    You can, but domain specific information like security settings get messed up unless you use migration tables to update the information.

It's easier with Advanced Group Policy Management, but that is part of the MS Desktop Optimization Pack suite.

Cannot wait when we upgrade to 2008 in the coming months.

So I have my GPMC open and i have selected the GPO that I want copy (following these instructions; Copy a Group Policy object using GPMC: Group Policy) but when I right click the GPO I only see;

edit, enforced, link enabled, save report, view , new windows from here, delete, rename, refresh and help.

am I doing something incorrect?