Looking for suggestions(in MN)

jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
ok I just got my AAS degree in Network Administration. I'm thinking aside from the obvious(sending out resumes) What next? I wanna go for my CCNA cause I feel that is my stronger point. But I wondered if you all think it is best to do this route Associates - Get some certs and employment, then a bachelors? Or go for a bachelors before certs? I wanna get employed asap not that I need a job, just need a new job related to my degree. Also I they never offered vmware classes at my school, but can do some self study and learn it I just don't have any money for the required classes to get the cert. Would it be ok to just self study it and include it on my list of skills?
Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
HTC students encouraged to join :)

Comments

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    If you've graduated I think you should get a job ASAP and get a couple of certs, and then work on a B.S. if you want. If you get a job - maybe helpdesk or desktop support - and do that job while working on your CCNA, then continue working and get the B.S. online.

Or even better: find a degree program that has Cisco curriculum (prepares you for CCNA) if you haven't already done that in your A.S.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jjbrog wrote: »
    ok I just got my AAS degree in Network Administration. I'm thinking aside from the obvious(sending out resumes) What next? I wanna go for my CCNA cause I feel that is my stronger point. But I wondered if you all think it is best to do this route Associates - Get some certs and employment, then a bachelors? Or go for a bachelors before certs? I wanna get employed asap not that I need a job, just need a new job related to my degree. Also I they never offered vmware classes at my school, but can do some self study and learn it I just don't have any money for the required classes to get the cert. Would it be ok to just self study it and include it on my list of skills?

+1
    I would say apply everywhere and you will eventually land something. I would focus on getting an IT job first and then you can worry about the education later. At least that’s what I’m doing at the current moment. You can get your CCNA if while looking for work. Are you working right now? If you’re not working right now it’s easier to find a IT job, because lot of IT jobs in MN are short term contracts. Also, I want to add that when looking for work, ‘m not sure why but employers focus on how recent your degree is , so the fact that your degree is very recent will play in your favor.

Have you posted your resume on…?

Career builder

Dice

Monster

https://www.minnesotaworks.net/

Have you applied for any jobs on craigs list?

Would you consider doing an internship or volunteering?

Good luck!

Ps I sent you a link for a job that I applied for in the past that requires CCNA knowledge.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor