Options

Server Migration

Hi all,

I have a question regarding server migration from 2003 to 2008. I never performed a Migration before and I know I will be in the next 6 months. We have 28 servers and two DCs per domain (4 domains). Is their material that I can read so that an easy transition will occur? I know my old servers will still be up until the new servers are ready but I would like to prep before I actually get the new equipment.

EDIT

maybe I'm just being to paranoid.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You paranoia is understandable, I'd be somewhat that way too! Setup a test lab where you can do dummy runs before you do the prod network. Here are some docos you can read:

Upgrading to Windows Server 2008
    Upgrading Active Directory Domains to Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 AD DS Domains

I havent done such an upgrade myself, but if you adequately prepare for it, it shouldnt be a problem. Good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Thank you so much! I have VMware on my development laptop (quad core I7's with 6 gig of ram :0) so I will test it out. I think during this time I will also focus on my microsoft certs more so than my Cisco since this side of the house I am more a windows guy (well I do a little bit of everything actually).

This would be the first enviroment I was in that which is going through a migration. So I am pretty excited for the experience.
  • Options
    So from what I found out that all the servers will come with Server 2009R2 on them already so I just have to transfer the roles over and then after everything is up decommission the old stuff.

More I read and do on Windows based environments the more I enjoy it. Its going to be a Cisco and Microsoft certs under my avatar name!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just ensure you do it nice and steady, plan everything out, do a couple dummy runs, introduce the Windows Server 2008 R2 machines one at a time, just do everything gradually. Also ensure any apps you currently run will also run on 2008 R2, some legacy ones wont.

And sure Microsoft is interesting, and it gets better the deeper you go into it.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't forget adprep /forestprep & adprep /domainprep
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    @Essendon

yes I will have something planned out. STart off getting the domain controllers up and creating a forest / giving FISMO roles to those new domain controllers and then go from there. Until I feel comfortable to start moving those DC;s over and other services (DHCP, File server, printer server, etc)
    dave330i wrote: »
    Don't forget adprep /forestprep & adprep /domainprep

Thanks. Did not really know / forgot about those. I need to get my hands on a good windows Server 2008 book or a good server integration book. I have VMware on the work machine and we have server 2008R2 images so I should give those a few test runs.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753437(WS.10).aspx
    (Prepare a Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 Forest Schema for a Domain Controller That Runs Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2)

(Prepare a Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 Domain for a Domain Controller That Runs Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754670(WS.10).aspx

I been so used to administration (mostly your basic stuff dealing with GPO's, AD, permissions ,etc) but not used to migrating.
  • Options
    So an update! Doing a lot of prep work (creating documentation of current Cluster setup, GPOs, firewall rules, etc). Good thing thing is I will be turning the current AD into a mixed environment and I have a plan out were I will be doing one server at a time (first domain controllers). Then when those servers are ready to be the "main guys" I will take the old ones down. All the developers have their new Windows 7 Enterprise laptops with VS 2010 and SQL 2010!!

Thanks to the posters on this forum (Essendon, etc) I will be starting my prep labs with my new work laptop this week / weekend! I got down roughly 80% to 90% of my day to day responsibilities down. Setting up a SUS server for all our non Microsoft patches (seriously, adobe comes out with a new patch every week =/). This week I am going to try and play around with the SAN a bit more even though I am getting a new one, I figured more exp / understanding wont hurt.

I've been prepping myself on topics that I am not to familiar with and asking the senior SA as much as I can (though the tasks he gives me to do on a day to day basis helps my understanding of the network a lot more).

Waiting for our new SAN supposed to get a Blade Server instead and getting rid of the EMC we have now. Also getting a new ASA (will have two ASA's).

Overall - Epic times!