Options

Questions about 70-640

Snoopy484Snoopy484 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

About 2 weeks ago, I had started down the path of the MCITP:EA by first beginning with the 70-640.

I'm currently working through the Trainsignal 70-640 videos due to my lack of a great amount of experience with AD while working with a team of VMs on my own machine, but after discovering this site, I'm wondering if that set of videos is my best choice. So I guess my first question is which video series would you most recommend for learning the material?

Also, after some reading I realized that I will definitely need to read through a book on the material as well for a much more thorough understanding. Is there any book that you guys would recommend. An ebook would likely be preferred since I'll be doing most of my reading from a tablet on a train into work.

Thanks so much in advance. I'm excited to join what seems to be quite an awesome community of Tech-examers.

Comments

• Options
    Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    I use the MS Press books. Unfortunately, they are not updated for the R2 material. The MS Press books come with an PDF version of the book for use on your computer. I like the MS Press books because they give good exercises for each chapter, which helps me learn the material.

If you go the MS Press book route, you will want to read the R2 Server 2008 update book. It's only about 150 pages and covers most of the updated stuff.

Some people will use two books. You might want to use the MS Press book with another 640 book that is updated for R2. Read each book twice, do all the labs and you'll do well. Some people also take notes when they read, and I should but don't. Note taking is a great study strategy. Read it, write it down and lab it. Hard not to learn!

Good luck. :D
  • Options
    pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    Im in the same boat. Ive just picked up the 70-640 MS press book like other MS press books that I have read recently its quality is poor with errors all over the shop.

But I do plan on reading it anyway as well as supplementing it with another book (or 3), some CBT's, labbing as well as going over the 70-640 sticky.
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    Snoopy484 wrote: »
    Hi,

About 2 weeks ago, I had started down the path of the MCITP:EA by first beginning with the 70-640.

I'm currently working through the Trainsignal 70-640 videos due to my lack of a great amount of experience with AD while working with a team of VMs on my own machine, but after discovering this site, I'm wondering if that set of videos is my best choice. So I guess my first question is which video series would you most recommend for learning the material?

Also, after some reading I realized that I will definitely need to read through a book on the material as well for a much more thorough understanding. Is there any book that you guys would recommend. An ebook would likely be preferred since I'll be doing most of my reading from a tablet on a train into work.

Thanks so much in advance. I'm excited to join what seems to be quite an awesome community of Tech-examers.

I know Testout is releasing their updated 70-640 course in the next week. You can read more about it here: TestOut LabSim Product Video Samples

I did the 70-640 when it was still R1 and 83-640 but i used their product as well as cbt nuggets and passed comfortably.
  • Options
    sherrillsherrill Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm taking the 640 next week.

I agree with the MS Press criticisms, I've supplemented that with TechNet and other resources to round out the holes.

I can recommend Kaplan Self Test if you're looking to go that route - it has R2 content. It also does a very good job of being a mini-tutorial with detailed explanations of not only the answer to the question, but to the topic as a whole.
  • Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    Good luck on your exam sherrill.

I'm using MSpress (hate the chapters written by Ruests), cbt nuggets and the sybex (three exams in one book (R2 material)) book.
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)
  • Options
    Snoopy484Snoopy484 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the input guys. I've started reading through the MS Press book for the time being, and since I'm already more than 70% through the Trainsignal videos, I'll finish with those and give CBT nuggets a runthrough.

Once I finish with the MS Press book, I'll revisit the subject of an R2 book.

Thanks guys!
  • Options
    Dracula28 wrote: »
    Good luck on your exam sherrill.

I'm using MSpress (hate the chapters written by Ruests), cbt nuggets and the sybex (three exams in one book (R2 material)) book.

Well, I actually just took it today.

AARGH. 680.

Time to get back on the horse.
  • Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    Sorry to hear about that. But 680 was pretty close. Was this your first MS exam? I remember failing my first MS exam too (in 2000, the win 98 exam). Then I went back at it for a second try 3 weeks later, and nailed it.

Hopefully you'll get it the next time. Did you get the second shot offer? Too bad they are charging people 15% of the exam fee for that now.
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)
  • Options
    Thanks. Yes, it was my first, so maybe next time I'll be a bit less on the nervous side.

50 questions - 1 question off!!

I don't have second shot but I do have another 15% off voucher that I'll use.

Thanks again. I'm bummed right now, but I'll get it.
  • Options
    pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    You will nail it next time for sure. You wern't very far off. I know when I walk into the testing center im still a bit nervous even after sitting 5 of these things... After I press "start" on the exam, I usually just sit there for a few mins to calm down a little bit before starting. MS gives an excessive amount of time to complete these things so killing a few mins at the start doesnt harm me.

Good luck for the retry!
  • Options
    Thanks pzero. Good advice.

Thanks to all.
  • Options
    worldmac1worldmac1 Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Sybex books have always been real good for me....well almost always. I think you're doing the best thing by using more than 1 or 2 resources. The Sybex books also get better reviews than the MS Press books; not sure why though...Anyway, Good luck on your studying. I'm in the same boat as you and hope to have this bad boy under my belt by the end of the month too!
    Certs in Progress:

CCNP:Routing 300-101 15%
    OIIIIIIIO
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Don't forget to go through this thread http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/42880-70-640-resources.html

The guys have done a great job putting everything under one roof.

I took the exam last year and did very well using Train Signal, MS Press book, Sybex book and many hours in my ESX lab.