Creating a VHD

DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
Do you have to have unallocated space on your disk in order to create a VHD?

I've read the books and it says to just right click disk management and select "Create VHD" and so forth from there. But it doesnt ever say if there has to be unallocated space or not.

Anyone know?

Comments

• AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Do you have to have unallocated space on your disk in order to create a VHD?

I've read the books and it says to just right click disk management and select "Create VHD" and so forth from there. But it doesnt ever say if there has to be unallocated space or not.

Anyone know?

a VHD is a file. So essentially it's just creating a .VHD file on a pre-existing partition and then mounts it as another drive.

With that being said it needs to be created on a logical drive and you can either allocate all of the space at once by selecting fixed or have it dynamically expand as needed by selecting that during creation. If you specify 20gb of fixed space for it then it'll create a 20gb .VHD file.

Do you not have a Windows 7 machine to try this stuff on yourself?
  • DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    I'm going to be doing it tonight on my Windows 7 machine. Just thought I'd ask prior to testing it out.
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    You can use either Diskpart (CLI) or Disk Management (GUI) to create the VHD's.

If your running W7 Ultimate/Enterprise or Server 2008 R2 you can make use of "Boot from VHD" by using BCDEdit.