Sysprep cause fatal error?

DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
I installed WAIK. I have my WinPE boot disk ready to go. My machine is ready to go. So I ran sysprep and chose /oobe and /generalize options. Then selected "reboot" checkbox.

It ran for 20 seconds and gave me a fatal error. I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise. All windows updates have been installed.

Why is it doing this? Anyone experience this?

Comments

• simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    What kind of error?
  • DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    A fatal error occurred while trying to Sysprep the machine.
  • alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    you need to view the error log. The Setuperr.log file is located in the \Windows\System32\Sysprep\Panther folder.

I had an issue with sysprep recently but that was because i had no more rearms left. Activating the pc fixed the issue.
    can you clarify what you mean by "no rearms left" ? I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise, it's an open license.
    Go to services, then stop "Windows Media Player Network Sharing" I think that's what I did and fixed the error.
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    I also recall there being an issue with DRM in WMP stopping sysprep from running.
  • alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    can you clarify what you mean by "no rearms left" ? I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise, it's an open license.

Its pretty much how many times you can "extend" the grace period before you need to activate Windows 7. If you open a command prompt and type slmgr /dlv it will tell you the pc's current license status including the rearm count.

What the others have said regarding windows media and sysprep is also a possible cause of your issue. There have been some strange quirks with sysprep and windows 7 but i would have though they would have been fixed by now.
    simtech wrote: »
    Go to services, then stop "Windows Media Player Network Sharing" I think that's what I did and fixed the error.

Thanks man! I did that and it worked!
    Thanks man! I did that and it worked!

Glad, it fixed the issue.
  • netBoogernetBooger Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another way to fix this is to set the following key to a value of "1" in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurentVersion\SL\SkipRearm
    (For Windows 7: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\SkipRearm)