Options

configure DHCP on router or server?

needforspeedneedforspeed Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
If a router is connected to a server and I need to configure DHCP pools for VLAN. What does it mean when it says 'make sure the hosts connected to the switchport can obtain IP address information from the router?

Comments

• Options
    amb1s1amb1s1 Member Posts: 408
    What it means is that the host (I guess the server) that connects to one of the port on the switch can get the ip address from the DHCP Server (I guess the router).

How can you confirm that even before making the host look for an DHCP host?

You can do that by assigning an static ip address to the host (server) and then try to ping the DHCP Server, if you can ping the DHCP Server then you know that it can obtain an ip address for the host (Unless there is a type of access list that block dhcp), but this is only if the host is in the same subnet, if not you have to do DHCP IP helper-address to your gateway router, so when the gateway see a DHCP request, it will forward the request to the DHCP Server.

I don't know if I was clear.
    David G.
    http://gomezd.com <
    My Tshoot test Blog
    http://twitter.com/ipnet255
  • Options
    needforspeedneedforspeed Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Forget about the silly drawing, but it looks like this. :D

qna8p4.jpg
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think you could use DHCP for private addresses in this way with the server not in the same broadcast domain. At least I wouldn't expect it to work. I mean, those host will begin the "discovery" phase of DHCP but the broadcast wont be forwarded to the server in your diagram.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    I don't think you could use DHCP for private addresses in this way with the server not in the same broadcast domain. At least I wouldn't expect it to work. I mean, those host will begin the "discovery" phase of DHCP but the broadcast wont be forwarded to the server in your diagram.

The DHCP Relay Agent could be your friend in these circumstances.......
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Gonna need to set up ip helper-address on each SVI so the DHCP client broadcasts can make it back to the server which is on a different network. At a minimum, make sure you turn off the netbios forward-protocols on the switches with SVIs.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Ron BrandtRon Brandt Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If a router is connected to a server and I need to configure DHCP pools for VLAN. What does it mean when it says 'make sure the hosts connected to the switchport can obtain IP address information from the router?

Set up DHCP Pools on your router and address the server static unless
    the lab indicates that the server IS a DHCP server..
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ron Brandt wrote: »
    Set up DHCP Pools on your router and address the server static unless
    the lab indicates that the server IS a DHCP server..
    +1 This is actually the best way to go.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.