Options

CWNA - 802.11 j,v,w,y,z,aa

KunkelKunkel Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Do I need to know all of these draft and minor 802.11 revisions? I only see a,b,g, and draft n mentioned on the official objectives, but there are 15+ extra ones explained in my Sybex book. I'm assuming it's just extra info.

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Kunkel wrote: »
    Do I need to know all of these draft and minor 802.11 revisions? I only see a,b,g, and draft n mentioned on the official objectives, but there are 15+ extra ones explained in my Sybex book. I'm assuming it's just extra info.

Wireless is a bit of a mess with all it's protocol variations. I try to stay away from it.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    You know, I would at least be able to recite what all of the amendments to 802.11 are if a letter is thrown at you. I really don't think you'll need to know in-depth stuff on more than a, b, g, i, and n, but it doesn't hurt to memorize what the others amendments are.
  • Options
    KunkelKunkel Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Yup, you don't need to explain it all in-depth but you should at least know roughly what they stand for.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    You know, I would at least be able to recite what all of the amendments to 802.11 are if a letter is thrown at you. I really don't think you'll need to know in-depth stuff on more than a, b, g, i, and n, but it doesn't hurt to memorize what the others amendments are.

That would be correct. Know enough about the differences. It would take a long time to cover them all in any great depth in terms of detailed mechanics.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With the CWNA you need to have a working knowledge. But with any of the CWNP professional level stuff you need to understand how many of the amendments actually work.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Kunkel wrote: »

I see these same ones in my CCNA book, the Wireless chapter. I noticed that not much of them were mentioned in the chapter review questions, but ... why risk it? I made flash cards on them. A few extra flash cards never killed anyone ... did they?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    instant000 wrote: »
    I see these same ones in my CCNA book, the Wireless chapter. I noticed that not much of them were mentioned in the chapter review questions, but ... why risk it? I made flash cards on them. A few extra flash cards never killed anyone ... did they?

People may have suffered from paper cuts though. :)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    instant000 wrote: »

I don't know, I've seen quite a few people around this forum who seem to have a very severe allergic reaction to learning anything that won't be covered on the exam. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    I don't know, I've seen quite a few people around this forum who seem to have a very severe allergic reaction to learning anything that won't be covered on the exam. icon_rolleyes.gif

But you can't/won't survive off certification knowledge alone. (I don't think you would last or week or two let alone a month) icon_study.gif
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    This is very common in the certification world. Many people are interested more in the paper than actually learning anything. They see taking an exam as an annoyance rather than an opportunity, so they want to quickest way to get the certification over with. You can easily detect these people in certification classes by their continual utterance of the phrases, "Will this be on the exam?", "Do I have to know this for the exam?", and "Why would they put that on an exam?"
  • Options

I don't want to promote this type of behavior but I was just going through this chapter and in the CWNA study guides and it states the exam does not cover draft amendments, with the exception of 802.11n. (kind of a contradiction but that's ok)

Either way, we all work in IT and few more IEEE standards won't kill us right?
    My Networking blog
  • Options
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    I was just going through this chapter and in the CWNA study guides and it states the exam does not cover draft amendments, with the exception of 802.11n. (kind of a contradiction but that's ok)
    There is a difference between draft and ratified amendments. 802.11 a, b, g, e, g, h, i, and n are all ratified and no longer draft. Anything that refers to 802.11n as draft was written before 2009.