Options

GLBIT question

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey guys this is what I am doing.
I have a vmware server esxi 4.1 hypervisor that I am using.
I configured the Gi0/4 port to handle the vlans (same config as our other vmware server) and I see the Gi link light flash on both ends (server side and switch side. but nothing no connection.

what else do I have to do on the vmware server itself to get it to connect. I have the network adapter set for vlans like where you name the interface and give it a vlan like 101 or 141 or 950. and what else do you have to do . I know connection works when I disconnect the GLBIT end and place it in the 100 MBPS port on the 3560 connects fine then.
so what am I not doing on the vmware or switch. ? switch config looks same as other Gig port config? so should work I would think? what do I need on the vmware server is there a dot1q configuration I need to set since I placed the switch with dot1q trunking??icon_redface.gif

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Where in VMWare did you set it? Most implementation set it in the virtual machine network settings in the vSwitch properties
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can create a VM Network and tag it with the appropriate VLAN. Once you've created the appropriate VM Networks w/ the associated VLANs, on the Network Adapter of the VMs you assign that VM Network to that NIC.
  • Options
    how does get assigned to the nic? and once that is done; I dont have to enable dot1q trunking on the vmware hypervisor?
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    how does get assigned to the nic? and once that is done; I dont have to enable dot1q trunking on the vmware hypervisor?

You add the specific NIC to that VM network if you want to use separate NICs per VLAN. I've always done VLAN tagging by VM Network, then dot1q trunking on the switch.
  • Options
    I totally messed up. Okay I troublehsot the Gi nic and what I didnt do
    was change the VM Network to the vlan 101. but I did that. and stupid
    spaz that I am I change the vcenter to the vlan 101 and I didnt
    change the vmnode itself to vlan 101 now the servers are running fine
    but when you log into to the I-client you see disconnected servers.

I cannot even log into root with the I-client. wow did I screw myself over.
    I think I might have to some how add the root vmnode2.domain.com
    to the vlan 101 and I dont have a clue how to do that in the command line.

Does anyone know how to change the root vm server to the vlan 101 that will be seen by the vm server. This way I can remote into the infrastructure client as root in additon to the domain type login to vmnode2.domain.net and into the ip address root as well.

am i making sense. Any suggestions to get the root vm into the vlan 101 so it can be see and then there will be no disconnect servers in the vcenter I-client session?

Okay I think the terminology I am looking for is this: I need to add the vlan 101 to vswitch that is made
    for the root console? so I can have no disconnect with vcenter and the vm server..

is this right?

• Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Came across this not too long ago and think it may help you with some of your questions. There is a lot to read and some of it may be dated but it helped me make sense of networking in vmware. That and they did a decent job of putting it together.
    The Great vSwitch Debate ? Part 1 Ken's Virtual Reality
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options