Options

Device to test radio frequencies in the air.

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
This may be on the verge of "not belonging here" and if it is, sorry. I figured it at least relates to technology. Anyway, can anyone recommend a device to test radio frequencies in the air? More specifically, I think my neighbor has set up a device to interfere with my dogs well being. Please do not ask me why I think this. I'm sure you guys know that there are some frequencies that only dogs can hear and it gets a response out of them. How can I test for this? And whom would I consult to take some legal action?
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Google

There are some on that list for a paltry $1400.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • Options
    j_griffithj_griffith Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    http://www.rentalsite.com/RentalSite/rentalListing.php3/ID_6469/categoryID_59/___w_portalList/

Here is a site in N. Virginia that rents test equipment. Call an tell them the frequency range you wish to scan and they can probably help you.

Good luck, J.
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    This may be on the verge of "not belonging here" and if it is, sorry. I figured it at least relates to technology. Anyway, can anyone recommend a device to test radio frequencies in the air? More specifically, I think my neighbor has set up a device to interfere with my dogs well being. Please do not ask me why I think this. I'm sure you guys know that there are some frequencies that only dogs can hear and it gets a response out of them. How can I test for this? And whom would I consult to take some legal action?
    WGU PROGRESS
    M.S Information Assurance and Security______ Completed: 0 CU's
    Start Date: October 2011 _ ______________________ _Remaining: 32 CU's

Goal for term ending 3/30/12 - EWOB1
    Courses Remaining / Term 2 Goal -
    Completed this term -
  • Options
    I will look into this but would rather find something cheaper than 1400 dollars. And could she deny this malicious intent if it made it to court? And again, who would I consult to PROVE that this is coming from her if this were happening?
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I saw a guy in my office with a mobile phone app that produced sounds at different levels.

It was funny, because he was 40+, so he could hear sounds in the age 40+ range, but not sounds from the 30+ or 20+ ranges.

There were some of us that could hear the higher-pitched frequencies, but it was interesting to see that some people could not hear the certain frequencies.

It could very well be a simple mobile phone app in use.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    I would think there are environmental protection organizations concerned with EM emissions that might be a health hazards to anything living. If you can locate one of these organizations, they might drive a bunch of equipment out to your place to check for harmful levels of EM emissions in your area. If they do detect something that is harmful and localized to your residence, they'll be the first to bring a lawsuit and demand publicity for it.

HAM radio and wireless networking people also tend to have all sorts of EM detection equipment, but it sounds like what you are describing is in the ultrasonic range, and that's a good deal lower in frequency than what most RF people deal with.
  • Options
    This neighbor wants us to get rid of the dog. She claims he is viscous when he isn't at all. He's only a puppy and has never bitten anyone. My sister said she SAW her hitting at the fence making the dog bark. She also told me she would "blast him" if he was out there while she was cutting her grass. For some time, I suspected that she had an audio recording device set up in her back window to catch my dog in the act of barking and I still believe this too. Again, do not ask me why. JDMurray, it is likely from the ultrasonic range as you have stated. She is right next door to me too.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Microsoft used to sell a bag in the estore that would light up if you were in range of a wireless network.

I don't think you would ever even get to court. If I were doing something like that (which I wouldn't) and the person who I was intending to interfere with showed up on my doorstep with allegations of what I was doing, I'd probably turn it off that evening.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    It's likely that a "stop annoying barking" device like that would be purchased from the back of some magazine, a 99 cent store, or a "spy gizmos" shop. I would assume such devices are very hit-and-miss as to whether they actually work on any specific dog. So much of the electronic equipment we use daily puts out ultrasonic sounds (air conditioners, TVs, computers, radios, etc.) that it's a wonder more dogs aren't driven insane by their use.
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the FCC might be able to weigh on use of devices which produce any kind of EM field. If your neighbor has equipment that produces and/or propagates radio waves which are harmful to biologics then I think they may have some say in the issue.
    You might also want to consult someone in the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). They may know a thing or two about these devices and how to take action against someone who uses it.

If your not afraid of using a soldering iron and can build a circuit without getting electrocuted it might be cheaper to build your own spectrum analyzer. Might not be pretty or small, but a hell of a lot cheaper than buying one!
    Maybe consider one that was posted here:
    I Need Audio Spectrum Analyser Circuit Schematic !