Options

Cisco vs Extreme/Juniper

effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
Should I get Cisco certifications first to build a solid foundation of networking and then study Extreme/Juniper's OS/syntax or just start with either Extreme/Juniper?

I took Cisco 1-4 in HS but that was 7 yrs ago and I had forgotten majority of it by the time I got an IT job last January. I passed Security+ in Dec and have a general understanding of the OSI layer and things that were covered in Security+ along with the networking involved with Sys Administration. Our Networking guy also left last month and it's possible that I could get to do more networking and etc. We use Extreme switches and Juniper routers/firewalls, the only Cisco devices we use are an ASA and Wireless AP so that's whats making the decision tough. From what I've gathered though Cisco would provide a better foundation and all of the things I learn with Cisco can carry over but with a different syntax, etc. Is that a good assumption? Another plus with Cisco is I could transfer it in at WGU for their Security program so that would be another plus.

Comments

• Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    In learning either, you will learn a lot of general networking theory that is not vendor specific. You do gotta understand the theory before you can implement it...It is just the implementing step that is a bit different between vendors.

I would go with Cisco simply because it has a bigger market, but I'm definitely not saying that the other option is the wrong choice.