Options

critique my path

chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
I am studying for my ccna and taking the icnd1/icnd2 path as it seems the best way for me. Currently I am in a tech school (ECPI) taking a routers class so I figured it helps with reinforcement of material and we use packet tracer for labs.

The study material I am using the icnd1 wendell odom book, cbt nuggets icnd1 material, and I also have the ccna and ccent sybex books. I will probably order the cisco-ccna-lab-workbook from certificationkits.com too.

Right now my lab consists of:
-2x 2610xm 128/32mb with DSU/CSU T1 wic & wic 1t card
-1x 2620 64mb/16mb with 2x DSU/CSU T1 wics planning on adding a nm-4a/s for frame relay
-2x 2950 (12 &24 port)
-1x 3548 (got this before I knew it was outdated)
-1x 24 port cat 6 patch panel

All 3 routers are on 12.2 but the xm's I plan on doing 12.4. I know I should get another router so I am watching ebay. I plan on bumping the xm's up to 256mb ram is it worth it to bump up the flash to 48mb as well?

As of now I have read the icnd1 wendell odom book and am watching the Cisco Press - CCNA Video Mentor videos then moving to the CBT nuggets video.

Any comments on things that could help me or is my path pretty good?

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You seem to have a pretty good plan so far. It's a good idea to do actual labbing on real equipment as I've found it helps me a lot. It makes all that stuff you read which seems complicated a LOT easier to understand. I just have 2- 2950 switches 1-1721 router and 1-2611 router but I've been able to do all the labs and configurations necessary so far.
    Have you looked into Free CCNA Workbook instead of buying the cisco lab book?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
    Which ECPI campus are you going to? I just recently graduated from ECPI. I attended the Virginia Beach campus and I got my Bachelor's from there in Network Security.
  • Options
    chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    I go to the Richmond south side campus.
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    Your path looks fine, just start labbing out any networks you come across in your studies
  • Options
    aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    dont worry about upping the 2610xm's ram as 128mb is fine for 12.4, i have 128 mb ones in my CCIE lab so you'll be better putting the money elsewhere
  • Options
    jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
    I go to the Richmond south side campus.

I take it you're a Network Security major. What classes are you currently enrolled in?