Options

Does anyone work with wireless backbones?

rizzo777rizzo777 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys.

Does anyone here work on wireless backbones? (Using RF/Microwave signals instead of T1,T3's etc)? If so, what does your work days consist of?

I'm starting a new job on Tuesday and I would love some of your input.

Comments

• Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    I work with mulitple wireless backhauls each day. I work for an ISP based in Illinois. We have sites across the country. We use Mikrotik, Ubiquiti, Ruckus, and Bridgewave devices. Our Bridgewaves give us 1Gbps or 2Gbps over a .5-5mile distance at 60-80Ghz frequencies. We also have leased lines and hard line connections (Metro E, T1, DS3, etc).

The biggest difference is in the troubleshooting. Troubleshooting becomes an entirely different beast when working with wireless devices as the different augmentations of RF come into play. Weather also plays a bigger role in our day to day operations. Rain and severe storms tend to have more effect on devices located 50-100ft in the air, vs the hard lines underground.

Overall the wireless backones are amazing, and greatly help us leverage the cost of larger links. The day to day operations are the same as about any other NOC.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My company is thinking of deploying one in the not too distant future.
  • Options
    I highly recommend them. What brand are you going with? What topographical and geographical location will you run them in? Its amazing to see the effect that environmental factors play on wireless deployments
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
  • Options
    Oh, and at what speeds? Ubiquiti devices are great for short distance high speed shots
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you seen the Ubiquiti Power AP N? I plan on picking up for my wireless needs next month:

PowerAP N | Ubiquiti Networks, Inc.
  • Options
    Very cool. I have to admit, I'm not as familiar with their indoor offerings as I am their outdoor. PicoStation M | Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. <-- this has been one of my staple outdoor all weather access points. Have you looked at their Unifi management system? They also mesh and do multipoint.

The indoor AP you linked looks sweet. I'm a huge Ruckus 7363 lover, but the Ubquiti offerings of late have made me want to experiment icon_twisted.gif